Through The Storm

Thunder roared menacingly in the vast, ominous sky as lightning flashed rapidly and rain and hail pounded down. Berk had never seen a storm this fierce before. So, to take shelter, Stoick ordered the Berkians to take refuge in the Great Hall immediately, and he made certain that Hiccup did as he was told and wasn't wandering off doing something stupid and reckless.

The group of teenagers consisting of Snotlout, Fishlegs, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, Hiccup, and Astrid took their refuge far away from the other villagers. Fishlegs was making an effort to not panic, Ruff and Tuff were complaining about how they weren't allowed outside to see all the destruction, Snotlout just sat alone crossing his arms as he was ignored, and Hiccup and Astrid, the newest couple on Berk, sat side by side and simply listened to the clanging of hail and claps of rolling thunder. Neither Hiccup or Astrid really cared for storms, so sadly, they weren't enjoying this.

"Yet another storm. How great," Hiccup said with a roll of his eyes as he watched Toothless curl up beside the firepit that was burning brightly in the center of the room. "I was planning to take you on a night flight on Toothless."

Astrid, who was laid against Hiccup's chest, sighed. "It's all right. Once this storm is over, we can go on a flight."

"But that's not what I meant!" Hiccup explained. Astrid gave him a confused glance, wondering what exactly he was so frustrated about. "It's just that, you and I just got together, and we've both been extremely busy when running the academy, finding new dragons, and protecting ourselves from Outcasts and Beserkers." He sighed, his emerald eyes turning glassy. "I just feel like I don't get to spend enough time with you."

Astrid's heart dropped at her boyfriend's statement. Lately, she felt she hadn't been able to spend much time with him either. It broke her heart that he was so upset.

"Babe," she whispered, placing a hand under his chin so his eyes would meet hers. "I know it's hard since we're in a relationship now, and we have so many responsibilites and tasks we have to do, but we're going to get through this together. Things will die down soon, and you and I will be able to make time for each other."

"But-"

"No 'buts!" Astrid exclaimed. "Things will eventually calm down and we will have more time with each other. I promise."

Hiccup grinned, his once dark, dulled eyes now back to the sparkling emerald that Astrid absolutely loved.

"I love you," Hiccup whispered into Astrid's ear.

"I love you, too," she replied, once again leaning her head against Hiccup's chest.

BOOM!

Both Hiccup and Astrid jolted upright at the roar of thunder that shook the ground. Astrid quickly grabbed Hiccup's hand. Hiccup squeezed her hand to let her know he was right beside her.

"I hate storms," Astrid muttered, clutching Hiccup's hand tighter as the thunder roared and the winds howled.

"I don't like 'em either, M'lady," Hiccup sighed, wincing as another bolt of lighting and a crash of thunder sounded. Hiccup could sleep through most anything, but storms were a whole other story.

"Why can't we go outside and see all the destruction?!" Ruffnut whined, crossing her arms and furrowing her brows in agitation.

"I bet it's beautiful," Tuff whispered, imagining lightning striking homes and electricuting his sister.

"I'd rather just stay inside where it's safe and cozy," Fishlegs spoke, shaking a bit in fear of the storm. "I don't like bad weather, and neither does Meatlug. It interrupts our whole sleeping schedule and Meatlug won't even lick my toes!"

"That's an image I could do without," Hiccup muttered to himself.

"Aw, is Guppylegs afraid of storms?" Snotlout taunted, pouting his lips and rubbing his eyes as if he were crying.

"Who even likes storms, though? Lightning can kill you," Fishlegs said.

"Nu-uh. I got struck more than once and I'm still alive," Snotlout argued.

Astrid rolled her eyes and ran a hand through her bangs. "Yay for us."

"Hurtful!" Snotlout exclaimed, theatrically placing a hand over his heart at Astrid's sarcastic comment.

"Can you guys just be quiet? I'm trying to hear the lightning and see the thunder!"

"Actually, I think you meant-"

"I know what I meant!" Tuff shrieked. "I am smart enough to know stuff."

Hiccup and Astrid tried so hard not to snicker.

"Says the one who was freaking out about his lost boot when you were wearing it the entire time."

"Shut it, Ruff! That happened only one time."

"Actually it happened three times; twice in the past week," Ruff countered.

"Would you just-"

Everyone fell silent as a bolt of lightning hit the roof of the Great Hall, causing the whole vicinity to rumble.

"...I think I prefer the indoors over the outdoors now," Tuff spoke.

"Yeah, same here," Ruff added.

---

And after a while, Gobber passed out blankets to all the Berkians, and most villagers were already asleep, so everyone had to quiet down...mostly Ruff and Tuff, though. But the storm had only worsened, and by this point, snow was falling. If it weren't for the massive fire pit in the Great Hall, everyone would have frozen to death.

"Here," Hiccup spoke, placing a blanket securely around himself and Astrid. "Are you warm enough? Do you want my vest?"

Astrid smiled, thankful for her boyrfriend's concern for her. "No, Babe, I'm fine. Besides, you're keeping me warm just laying beside me," she said with a laugh.

"Good," Hiccup replied, wrapping his arms around Astrid's waist and gently kissing her forehead. "Night, M'lady."

"Night, Babe."

And although Hiccup and Astrid hated storms and were never able to peacefully sleep through one, there they were, nestled in each other's arms, deep in a peaceful, heavy sleep.

All until they heard a very girly sounding shriek that came from Fishlegs.

"Shut up, Guppylegs!" Snotlout jeered, pulling his blanket over him tighter and mumbling words under his breath.

"What's wrong, Fishlegs?" Hiccup asked, yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"Something zapped my leg! What if it was lightning! What if I'm going to die!"

And off to the side was a snickering Ruff and Tuff, holding a blanket behind their back. They had somehow managed to produce some static electricity onto the blanket, which they then placed on Fishlegs to scare him.

Hiccup just groaned and laid back down, sighing as Astrid wrapped her arms around him. He leaned down and kissed her forehead once more. "I love you-"

"AHH!!!" Fishlegs shrieked.

Finally, Hiccup got up, ripped the blanket out of Ruff and Tuff's hands, and exasperatedly threw it across the room before trying to go back to sleep.

After seeing Hiccup ticked off, the twins quieted down and immediately went to sleep.

---

A/N

So, Ruff and Tuff kind of ruined the peaceful Hiccstrid moment, huh? Figures.

I decided to write this one shot because we had a REALLY awful storm hit us the other day. We basically almost got hit by a tornado, but thank God that didn't happen. I'm just glad we're okay.

Vote, comment, do whatever floats your goat!

Talk to you soon!

_frozen_hope_