s i x

———

———

GRACE WATCHED AS her father paced the living room. It had been three days and their grandparents were still staying with them, sleeping in the guest bedroom. He stopped for a moment and looked over at her with an anxious look. "Why don't you go grab daddy a beer from the fridge." He raised a brow in Grace's direction as she quickly stood up from her seat to grab her father a beer from the fridge. Her mother was sitting at the table with her grandmother smoking a cigarette and chatting. They looked over at Grace as she grabbed a beer. "I hope that's not for you." Her grandmother spoke with a playful look.

She shook her head and laughed. "No, Grams. It's for dad." She let out another low chuckle before going to give her father the beer. He took it from her and patted her back as a way of saying thank you. Instead of taking her seat on the couch, she went upstairs to her room. She was planning to do some studying for a huge test but she was missing her Spanish textbook. She let out a dramatic groan before going to see if Fallon had one.

She knocked on the door but Fallon couldn't hear her over the music. She pushed the door open and scrunched up her face when the smell of weed hit her nose. Fallon was dancing around her room singing along to the music that played, it brought a smile to Grace's face. She cleared her throat and startled her sister who looked over at her with a surprised look. "What do you want?" She asked taking a seat on the edge of her bed. Grace walked in and closed the door behind her.

"What are you doing?" She asked completely forgetting about her textbook.

Fallon rolled her eyes at her sister's very obvious question. "What does it look like?" She asked with a slight attitude. Grace walked in and took a seat next to her sister.

"I'm sorry Fal. For everything." She lowered her head as she spoke. Fallon looked at her for a while before letting out a sigh, she scooted closer to her sister and wrapped her arm around her.

"I know. I'm sorry too, we can't help that we're fucked up." She spoke playfully causing Grace to laugh.

The both of them wrapped their arms around one another and enjoyed the peace that was between them. Grace pulled away and looked at her sister before looking down at the joint in her hand. "Can I try it?" She asked nervously. Fallon looked at her with a surprised look.

"Are you kidding?" She asked through laughter. The look on Grace's face remained serious. Fallon stopped laughing noticing the serious look on her sister's face. She thought about it for a minute before shrugging her shoulders. She locked her bedroom door before turning her music back up.

"If you have to cough, put your face in this pillow." She tossed Grace a throw pillow. She twisted her face in confusion but listened to Fallon.