just here

People re-tell their life experiences. But why do we feel the need to share those experiences with someone?

Selene has always been one who likes poetry. Her whole life, she has followed big names like: Edgar Allen Poe, Shakespeare, and others. The way they describe things in such a captivating and hypnotizing way, always made every single cell in her body feel lighter and less alone. Selene is someone who always seeks for the warmth of another person, someone who truly cares, or to just be there. To be there for every stage in life, and of course Selene would meet them halfway. Doing the exact same thing if not, more, or less. That's why when she found that 4 years ago, Selene held on to that relationship in order to feel, to not be a lonely soul. Years later, what she expected came. She's now all alone, trying her best to hang on to a thin thread that's keeping their story from ending.

The poetry-lover walks solemnly through the old building with cold marble floors and newly painted walls. A light-weight Backpack on their back and water jug in hand. Listening to the curated playlist she always listens to during days like this. Days like this when the air is cold, yet there's no wind. Day's when the school's trees and plants work in harmony to give the campus fresh clean air. A peaceful, comforting day. Although there's a feeling in Selene's stomach the moment, she steps foot into the campus grounds and towards the college building. That feeling when something bad might happen further into the day. Selene takes 3 deep breathes and whispers "I should stop anticipating bad things, today will be a good day."

Selene steps inside the new classroom, noticing she's the first student inside. She looks around for a while, mindlessly greeting the person that comes in after a short while and decides to take a nap on one of the chairs.

Selene wakes up with many people around her and a booming voice comes from behind. It's Mrs. Lite, the class adviser, or at least that's what the enrollment paper said. "Everyone find your seats, leave your belongings, and line up so we can go downstairs for the Opening Ceremony."

The ceremony is pretty boring. Some talent performances and now the principal is going through the basic guidelines everyone should know. I see the same faces from last year. My old seatmate from 10th grade talking with our adviser, my other classmates murmuring about how the day hasn't even started but they're already exhausted.

..."That's all everyone. Please exit the assembly hall and go to your classrooms in an orderly fashion, have a good day!"

We're now in the classroom in random seating arrangements. I can see the friend groups sitting together, small and big. Mrs. Rai Lite calling names for attendance, I always found her first name so pretty. It's unique and refreshing.

She's starting to take attendance; my seat is right in front of her, so I see the checks of those present. I patiently wait for my name to be called.

Until,

"Mr. Blake" "PRESENT!"

- flashback -

"You don't always have to be quiet; you know? It's not really helping the both of us"

No response.

"We have to do this project. It's a partner project. And look, I'm not so good with communication either but' I'm really trying."

"So, could you be kind and just meet me halfway?" She tells the boy with a little smile. The boy wearing a cardigan with colorful doodles that look like they were written by a toddler.

The boy looks up at the girl standing up in front of his chair, eyes pretty with a tired spirit inside. The sky bright but gloomy, a few clouds here and there. The old big balcony on one of the top floors of the school building filled with extra chairs and other supplies. The girl wearing a sweater over her uniform, hair down, and a hair-tie on her wrist.

The boy looks up at her and takes out one cigarette, handing it over to the girl with a hum and a raised eyebrow.

"Is that all you can do?" The girl answering back with her own eyebrow raised. The boy then nods twice.

"Wow." The one in the sweater said in disbelief. "Yeah, let's just continue this tomorrow."

The boy still looking at her gives an expressionless face with just his wide eyes, still holding out the cigarette with doodles and a phrase on it. She starts walking and the boy sighs. He looks back and calls for her before she opens the door leading to the staircase down, and an old elevator they're not allowed to use.

"I'm sorry." he says shortly, standing up to catch up and face her.

"I'm not really... that great with this" the boy gestures pointing to himself and to Selene back and forth. Selene looking sideways instead of fully facing him, decides to face him.

The both of them just stand there wordless for a few seconds. Not knowing what to say.

The boy clears his throat and continues "Let's do this again um,"

"I'm Seb."

The other one seemed weary at first, but she holds out her hand at the end.

"Selene."

"Ahhh. Of course, Selene Laurier, right?"

"Well yea you heard that when our teacher said it.. so.. yea"

"No I heard your name somewhere else.."
"I would like to know that some other time. If you don't mind?"
"Of course I don't"
"Thank you.."