16) 35 Arietis - Honest & Disciplined

Start from the beginning

"So, Rumi... let me introduce myself. I don't make motion pictures, I make documentaries."

Rumi was caught off-guard by his statement.

"More than fiction, I like capturing reality; click candid pictures and I love to explain the truth behind those pictures."

For someone who claimed to love photography, Rumi noticed that he didn't carry a camera. Guessing her thought, he grinned, "No, I don't carry cameras everywhere. If I want a picture, I use my mobile phone."

"Is my face so transparent?" Rumi asked, to make light of the moment.

"No, it is not your face. It is your eyes that mirrors your thoughts," Alec said softly.

Rumi glanced at him. His avid gaze brought a surge of heat on her face. She looked away.

"Anyway, what was I saying...? Yes, I love the camera. I make films on subjects like war, natural disasters and its effects on the region, migration of people; anything and everything that catches my fancy..."

"You stay in London?"

"I consider London, New York and Rio as my home...I love all the three cities. But to answer your question...yes, my base is in London."

Rumi wondered what a man like him was doing here. Why did he want to meet her? If he was a documentary maker, she had no role to play.

"So, what brings you to Mumbai?"

"You!" his reply once again made no sense to her...She frowned at him.

"I watched your movie and I realized that you would be perfect for the role I had in mind."

"But you make documentaries..." Rumi burst out.

"So? Aren't there people in such films?"

"Yes, I know. I thought they were real ones and not actors."

Alec smiled, his eyes roving over her face, "Sometimes, there are real ones but often the makers create such an impression on the audience. They try to bring authenticity."

"Oh?"

"Yes.... Let me tell you about my work. Then, you can decide if you want to be part of the project."

****************

Yohan was hungry, irritated and at the same time, restless. Bethany had been calling him for the past couple of days but he had been dodging her calls. He did message her though, that he was in the middle of the last phase of the shooting.

He wrapped up the day's shoot. He still had a couple of days of work left. Then, he and his crew would be flying to Mumbai. Thoughts of Mumbai instantly warmed his heart. He knew it was not because he was returning home. There was another reason for this bad mood and his impatience to reach Mumbai.

He was missing Rumi...

However, his ego did not allow him to accept it. Rumi had been the one who had drawn the line between them and he would be damned if took the first step to cross it.

During her stay in London, Rumi and he had exchanged views only on work. They had discussed her role and other aspects of acting. There had been nothing personal. He had followed her lead although he had wanted to know her better as a person. He had noted that she was not like other actresses. She had tried to shun publicity. She was much deeper than she portrayed herself to the outside world. There was an aura of mystery around her that drew him to her. In the course of their interaction, he had learnt that her looks were something that she did not take seriously. He knew that some of her co-actors wanted to ask her out but she had kept everyone at arm's length.

There had been moments during their shoot when he had felt an uncontainable desire to break down the wall that she had erected between them. When she had tried to emote for certain scenes during the shoot, he had desperately wanted to comfort her. It had made him realize what an amazing artist she was! Sometimes, he pondered if he was drawn to Rumi or Mantra, the character she played. To keep such thoughts at bay, he had asked Bethany out. But it had proved futile. Beth's company had not diminished Rumi's appeal. And he knew that the next phase of shooting in Rajasthan where Rumi would get into the skin of Mantra, would be tough on him. Slowly and steadily, Rumi was casting a spell on him and if he was not careful, he would fall for her irrevocably.

And yet, his pulses spun out of control at the thought of seeing Rumi in a week's time.

*****************

"It is not the usual run off the mill film. I am planning a six-part series that would be broadcasted across the world."

"It sounds very interesting. I would love to be part of the series. It has been my dream to visit Egypt. And to spend so many months in the country would be like my dream come true. However, there is one hitch. I can't start anything at once. I have five more months of shooting schedule; that too in Rajasthan."

"That is no issue. I can wait till you finish your current schedule. But I can get a contract drawn right now. So, I will be sure of your part in my project. What say?" Alec asked her.

Rumi did not mind. The series sounded exciting. She had not read the draft. But from what Alec told her, it sounded fascinating. Who wouldn't want to be part of an international project, especially when it will be shot in exotic locations like Luxor, Alexandria and Aswan? The more she thought about it, the more excited she became.

Rumi accepted Alec's proposal.

"Awesome! I will draw up the contract and call you. We can meet somewhere and discuss the legalities of it all..."

"What if the film I am doing does not wrap up in five months? There may be chances of delay..."

"That will not be a problem. I will mention it in one of the clauses."

There was one question that bewildered Rumi. She mustered the courage to put it to him, "How did you come across me? And why me for this part?"

Alec took his time to reply. His gaze, direct and intense did not unsettle her this time. She was probably getting used to him by now. The thought made her smile.

*****************