17. Maybe I Like the Ladies

Start from the beginning

                “Kasey, wait!” Jace called after me. I stopped in front of my door and turned to face her. With a saddened frown, Jace ran her hands through her hair. “Look, you’re right. I’ve been a bitch, a super bitch. I’m sorry alright? You’re my friend, my best friend and I just don’t want you to get hurt like me. Men are dazzling, exciting, and different so I get it when one captures your interest. But men can also be hurtful and deceiving and I feel like you’re Rapunzel and I’m the witch trying to keep you away from the big bad world. Can you see that all I’m trying to do is care for you even if I’m going about it all wrong?”

                She has been here for me through thick and thin though despite all this stress she is putting me through as of right now. I should tell her about Justin this would be the perfect time. “Yes, I see that, Jace.”

                She let out a huff of air in relief and then gave a timid smile. “Okay. Well I’m willing to start over if you are.”

                “You know I’m not about erasing the past. But I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.”

                “Fair enough.” She blew me a kiss and then ran to her room. With a laugh, I headed inside of my own.

                Emerging from my room, I bumped right into an elegantly dressed Jace. She looks just as dressed up as I am. Frowning, I asked, “Where are you going?”

                Adjusting one of her diamond bracelets, she answered, “Art gallery for this feminism exhibit. My manager thinks it will help my image to be associated with feminism in the open eye.” She rolled her eyes, expressing how much she truly agrees with the idea.

                How unfortunate that the only night I decided to hang out with another girl other than Jace all on my own she has to be coming with. She is dressed in expensive purple silk, her handbag silver to match her pumps. She is always perfect and it’s highly unfair.

                “Wow, Kasey! You look great. Where are you going?”

                With an impish smile I said, “To the art gallery as well. How coincidental, hm?”

                Jace’s eyes grew wide with shock and then she fell over with laughter. “It’s invitation only. How did you get invited?”

                I pulled my invitation out of my black clutch purse and waved it in the air. “I happen to know people. Also, you’re doing exactly what we talked about earlier.” She can be so rude and controlling.

                After a frustrated sigh, Jace nodded. “This is going to take hard work and determination. I seem to be stuck in all my old ways.”

                “Clearly,” I mumbled. “So, I’ll see you there?”

                “Of course. Wait, are you going with your new man?” Her eyes brightened.

                “No. I’m going with a friend.”

                The light burned out of her eyes and she gave a curt nod. “You can’t hide him forever you know?”

                I shrugged. “Maybe I don’t want you to try and control his life the way you try to control mine.” Jace started to say something but I was already out the door before she could utter a single word.