Endless - Chapter Eight

Chapter 8

Nash - April

I think I’ve finally moved on.

I think I’ve finally gotten over Adelaide.

Carter and I have been officially “dating” for three weeks now. It’s good. We’re good. Well, at least I think. Like I’ve said plenty of times: I’ve never been in a relationship before. But I’m happy with Carter. She makes me happy. She makes me feel good - and I’m not just talking about the sex. She makes me feel good inside.

Better than I did in January.

Kane doesn’t like hanging out with me as much. He says I’m “not my f*cking self.” Something about Carter changing me? But I don’t see it.

My mom’s been away from the house during the days. She’s finally starting her life over, getting a job to pass time by. We’re doing better; not the best, but better.

I haven’t thought of Adelaide in weeks. She’s not consuming my thoughts like she used to. Her face never pops into my mind.

It’s like she was a faint dream - a part of my life that was never truly meant to be.

And maybe, maybe I’ll finally be able to take this d*mn necklace off.

***

“I’ve never really liked seafood,” Carter complains, a frown on her face.

We haven’t really been out together since we started dating. She’s been busy with work, and me, well I’ve been job searching.

I’ve wanted to get a job; something to pass time instead of wallowing around the house like a f*cking bored person. The only problem: I haven’t found anything that interests me. I've worked, worked as a waitress, at a mechanics office, as a cashier. Yeah, none of those seem like something I would do.

I want something to do with music - something where I can be myself and not have to be controlled by someone else. But I just can’t seem to find anything.

Carter thinks I should just give up on music, constantly telling me that it’s not going to make me any money. But how can you give up something that you fell in love with?

You can’t. And trust me, I’ve learned the hard way.

“They don’t just sell seafood,” I say, handing her a menu.

“Okay. I guess we can give it a try. Plus, it’s a little romantic.”

The waiter approaches, ending our conversation, “Hello. Welcome to Seaside Grill. What can I get you both to drink tonight?”

“Wat-” I start, but am cut off by Carter.

“We’ll have wine, the special that you guys have,” Carter says, smiling at the waiter.

I frown, “Actually, I’ll have water. She can have the wine, though.”

Carter gives me a frown. She doesn’t know about my drinking problem that I had when I came back home a few months ago. She definitely doesn’t know about my father either. And I sure as h*ll don’t feel like relaying that story again.

The waiter looks between us before saying, “Okay. I’ll be right back with them.”

“What are you getting?” Carter asks me, looking up with a small, delicate smile.

I look down to the menu, my eyes roaming over each of the items that the restaurant offers, “Not sure yet. I might try that fish burger that they have on the special.”