Endless - Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Adelaide - April

Tipping my head back, I let the clear liquid burn down my throat.

“D*mn girl,” I hear Cassie laugh, “that’s your third one already.”

I set the shot glass down as a shiver runs down my spine. I’ve never been much of a drinker - especially not a drinker of vodka shots. But things have changed and I actually kind of find the clear liquid comforting.

“How old are you again?”

I turn towards Cassie’s friend - the other girl from the hair salon, Kennedy - and send her a wide grin. They were both in their early twenties, twenty-two and twenty-one years young, and well… I wasn’t even close to that yet.

“You don’t need to know,” I reply and then reach for another shot glass. I down it quickly, wincing from the burn again.

My fingers itch for another one, but Cassie snatches the last one away from me. She raises a brow and then drinks it herself. Setting the glass down, she turns to face Kennedy.

“Our little Adelaide is only the sweet age of nineteen,” she says with a smirk and I scowl.

Kennedy rolls her eyes, “Oh, that’s right - this whole ordeal is f*cking illegal.”

Did I mention this girl has a mouth that could rival a sailor's? She didn’t talk much, but when she did… she dropped the f-bomb a lot. It was something that reminded me a lot of another person who cussed just as bad as a sailor, if not worse.

“Hey, I’ve been drinking long before this,” I say, running a hand through my short hair. “Age is only a number.”

“Okay,” Cassie says, glancing up at the wall, “I think that’s enough for tonight.”

She reaches for my hand and pulls me out of the booth.

“What?” I ask. “Didn’t we just get here?”

“Yeah, but you’ve already had too much to f*cking drink… and you’re underage. I don’t want to get f*cking arrested,” I hear Kennedy say and I roll my eyes.

They drag me to Cassie’s car and strap me in. It made me feel like a child and I hated it, but Cassie only smirks and then starts the car. Kennedy jumps into shotgun and then we’re off. Before I know it, they pull up to my house.

And somehow, I find myself magically in my bed underneath the covers that are so warm

“That was quick,” I say, though it comes out as a mumble. Oh wow, why am I suddenly so tired?

I see Cassie and Kennedy through my hooded eyes, and they just stare at me. One of them, I can’t tell who, leans down and caresses my hair.

“Goodnight,” they both say and darkness consumes me.

And in my dreams that night, I swear I can hear a guitar playing a familiar tune.

Just like before.

***

A constant ringing wakes me up.

I have no idea where it’s coming from, but it’s annoying and causing a piercing headache to fill my head. My idle arms search for the source, but I come up empty handed. And then the ringing just stops.

I sigh and snuggle deeper under the covers.

But I clearly speak too soon - the ringing starts again.