Chapter 1

The day was exactly how I loved it. Gloomy, rainy, and chilly for a hoddie but not so much that I can't peacefully walk, and that's exactly what I was doing. Walking with no specific destination. That is what I used to do with him before the incident. An incident that left us both scarred and traumatized. An incident that left both our families dead and us not strong enough to look each other in the eyes.

He moved out of town somewhere. He left with another woman whom I never had the pleasure of meeting. Someone he kept a secret even from me. I never really sat to think about why nor was I interested in it. I also didn't feel as betrayed as I would have expected but neither the less, he was gone.

"Astrid!" ...

I sometimes wish I could talk to him again.

"Astrid!" ...

Maybe then we could have the conversations we never had.

"For fucks sake Astrid!" ...

I felt a slight push that knocked me out of my deep and kind of stupid thoughts. Behind me a slightly enraged, tan, blue hair, Afro-Latina named Mia.

"Oh, shit sorry Mia, I was in a self-induced trance. What's up?"

"Yeah, I pretty much saw that! Anyways, tomorrow Sammie is having a party by the river if you want to come. She said she texted you the invite but that you haven't answered her, and she needs to know how many people are going for the snacks and shit, you know?"

"Oh, crap yeah! Right when I was going to text her and then I got busy getting the package deliveries for the new apartment. Tell her I'm obviously going. What time was it again?"

"It starts at 2pm, and to my understanding we are both going together, correct?"

I giggled a little at her boldness.

"Yeah, I'm picking you up at 11am to get ready together then head on over to the river."

"Okay well see you tomorrow! I have to head in for work."

"Okay see yah Mia!"

Mia has been my best friend since 4th grade when we were both too shy to talk to anyone else. We are now both 25 and have been inseparable since then. I decided to head over to the café at the end of the street to sit down and catch up on some work. See I work as an online personal assistant to rich people who can't seem to have their life organized and have the money to splurge on paying someone for the simple task of setting up their calendars and arranging their meetings. Even setting up leisure time.

The café was empty aside from another girl with headphones on waiting for her coffee who seemed a little too young to even be drinking it in the first place and a guy who was on his laptop. He looked incredibly concentrated on whatever he had in the screen. He looked up and made direct eye contact with me while smirking a little. I quickly moved my head to face my laptop that was still turning on. I could still see him with the side of my eye still looking at me, which made me panic. Was my hair ok? My makeup? My clothes? My posture? I can't make any obvious movements or he will notice... wait since when am I such a wuss?

I looked back at him and smiled. He giggled and looked down. He had a thick gray sweater on and black cargo pants that hung a chain from one strap to the other and combat boots. His hair was black and ears length with an undercut. His skin was slightly tanned, and his eyes were a deep brown. I could almost get sucked in.

I set my sight back to my laptop and started doing my work. About an hour into work, I get handed a cup of water by an extending arm wearing a gray sweater. I looked up and my eyes met deep brown eyes that I fought to not stare too hard into.