Conflicted Feelings

Demi

The question came out, but I was so afraid of the answer. "When did you fuck Rachel?" I asked Nick as he sat across from me in our studio. I had my suspicions that Rachel was into Nick for a while, but then the way Nick acted around her heightened my suspicions a lot. I would see the way he looked at her, on stage, when her hand lingered on a part of his body longer than the other dancers. I would get a sinking feeling in my gut. I was watching her & the way she would stare at him or the way she avoided him during group settings. The clincher was when Nick brought up getting married out of nowhere. It was as if he was doing it with a purpose, not because of a romantic notion. When he brought it up, it felt more like a business transaction than a romantic proposal.

I watched Nick's face closely as his face looked surprised, then turned to anger, like I had no right to ask him this question. Then he looked annoyed like he was offended I asked him that. After what seemed like an eternity, his face finally looked guilty & my heart sank. "Who told you?" He asked in almost a whisper.

My stomach turned & a lump formed in my throat. My suspicions had been right. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second to keep my composure & not burst into tears. I took a deep, cleansing breath. "You did." I said & Nick's face clouded with confusion. "Just now. I had my suspicions & you just confirmed it. Thanks for being honest." I said, my tone laced with sarcasm as I rolled my eyes & turned to lean on a nearby table.

"Demi... it was when we were broke up. I didn't cheat. I swear." Nick said in a flat voice. I narrowed my eyes at him as I folded my arms across my chest. He stood up, suddenly, so he could stand over me a little. "I was drunk & so upset because you made that fucking announcement. For all I knew we were done for good. You wouldn't even talk to me on the phone about it. I thought our relationship was dead so I was devastated."

I laughed, sarcastically & rolled my eyes at him. "Oh you sure had a hell of a time mourning the death of us, didn't you?"

"No, I didn't, actually." Nick said, quietly.

I glared at him. "Oh yea... you had bad sex. Excuse me if I don't believe you." I rolled my eyes to the ceiling & let out an aggravated sigh.

"It was. I swear on Peyton's life..."

"Don't you dare speak of our son right now. Especially swearing on his life." I gave him a look of disgust.

"It wasn't good. Every second I was.... with her... I couldn't wait for it to be over & I regretted it from the moment it started. I was just so upset, I thought it would make me feel better & it didn't. Not at all. I felt worse."

I clicked my tongue in distaste, picturing him fucking this girl. I closed my eyes & took a few deep breaths because I felt like I was going to get sick. I felt his hands on my arms, making me snap my eyes open. "Do not touch me." I sneered at him as I pulled myself from his grasp & stepped away from him. "You should have told me. You weren't going to tell me, were you?"

Nick's face gave away his answer. "You're right. I should have told you. I'm sorry, Demi. I didn't cheat, though, so you can't be mad about this. You're the one who broke up with me, remember?" Nick's voice sounded a little unsure, but I turned my body around, completely, to face him, my face angry.

"And what? A few days later, you're ready to move on with someone else?" I had tears in my eyes now, unable to keep them from coming.

"No, baby. I wasn't ready to move on. It was just sex. That's it. And it wasn't even good. I didn't enjoy it even a little bit. I swear to you." Nick took a step toward me & I took a step back, shaking my head.