Chapter Five ೃ⁀➷

Taylor POV
My jaw dropped. Lee gaped at the banquet table in the middle of the tent, which was laden with fruits and vegetables. I know, fruits and vegetables. Why not potato chips and finger foods with cran-raspberry juice? Pillows lined the table where the chairs were supposed to be.

"Wow."

Zoe grinned, obviously proud of her tent.

"Sit, please."

I relaxed on a pile of throw pillows while more girls entered the tent. Lee sat down next to me, not allowing himself to relax. The girls made disgusted looks when they saw Lee, but they didn't kill him. Zoe sat down as well, and another girl came to treat her leg.

"No way."

The girl shook her head.

"You were able to hit Zoe?"

"Yup."

"We could use a hunter like you, you know."

"So I've been told. Anyway, why exactly were you attacking us?"

The girl laughed while she bandaged Zoe's calf.

"We felt your presence. Especially.."
She wrinkled her nose. "The male."

Lee clenched his jaw. My eyebrows furrowed. "You attacked us because..."

She shrugged. "There's enemies everywhere. You can never be sure."

She stuck her hand out.

"I'm Phoebe. The head healer."

I shook her hand. "Taylor."

Phoebe chuckled. "Everyone knows your name. You hit the lieutenant!"

I smiled awkwardly. "Is that nessiarily something to be proud of?"

Phoebe shoulder bumped me. "Tartarus yeah, it is! You're a girl. Girls rule!"

She pumped her fist in the air as the other girls echoed, "Girls rule!"

I grinned. "Cool."

"Ya know," Phoebe sipped her hot chocolate, "you should totally join. Since you hit the lieutenant, you'll be lieutenant next. Zoe's been looking for someone to take her place. She's been lieutenant for thousands of years, maybe millions. I don't know. She's been around longer than me."

I sat up. "You get immortality?"

"Yeah! Well, unless you die in battle, but you hit the lieutenant. You're not gonna die anytime soon!"

She tapped the quiver on my shoulder. "We all fight with a bow and arrows. When there's close combat, we use knives."

Beside me, Lee tensed. I would be perfect as a huntress. Immortality, fighting with my choice weapons, hanging out with a ton of girls, killing monsters, becoming Diana's lieutenant- everything I dreamed of as a kid. It was real, and I had an option to take it. I bit my lip. I wanted to take the offer so bad, but I couldn't.

Phoebe's eyes softened.

"I understand. I was brainwashed by a boy once. I would have said no as well. But then-" her eyes flashed. "He betrayed me. Used me. So when I found the Hunters of Artemis, I accepted immediately."

She locked eyes with me. " If you say no, remember you can always come back. Just swear off men forever. "

"Oooh-kay." I nudged Lee. "If you do that, I'll become a hunter of Diana. So don't do that."

Phoebe looked satisfied. "So, are you going to join?"

All the girl's heads shot up and stared at me.