Chapter One

Present Day

Sunlight seeped through the blinds and placed delicate kisses upon her exposed skin. Aaliyah squirmed under the warm sun rays but found refuge against the strong body next to her. With covers adjusted to block the sun, Aaliyah nuzzled into the nape of her lover's neck, and he instinctively pulled her in. A faint smile curled up her lips when she felt soft kisses on her cheek and forehead.

"Good morning, Terrence." Aaliyah said with a yawn. She arched her back and extended her arms above her head for the unnecessarily added emphasis that she knew Terrence loved. He looked at her and raked his fingers through her hair.

"Good morning," he smiled before he shifted in the bed, "never knew you were a wild sleeper." Terrence added with a chuckle.

Aaliyah slapped his bicep, "Why do you sound so shocked by that?"

"Because you never cease to amaze me." He retorted.

Aaliyah pushed Terrence away as she giggled. In normal circumstances, Aaliyah would have kicked Terrence out once their late-night rendezvous finished. However, last night, she wantonly desired to wake up next to him the following morning like a typical morning after scene she'd seen so many times in movies. But here they were, together in her one-bedroom apartment, located close to the center of Rose District. And she didn't have those butterflies in her stomach like the women in the movies.

Instead, guilt seeped into the pit of her stomach through her pores and crept up her throat like vile. Waking up to an empty bed helped her hide from the sins of her own doing. However, seeing Terrence here with her in this moment forced her to acknowledge the problems she'd locked away in the back of her mind. Aaliyah rolled over to face her bedroom window and admired the large cement wall in the distance which enclosed all of Rose District. The perimeter was created a year into the treaty to ensure that no illicit activity outside of the wall would spill over into Rose District.

Terrence arched an eyebrow, "Are you okay?"

Aaliyah stared at him with pursed lips, while the sunlight began to warm up the room around them. Aaliyah felt hot, yet cold at the same time. Hot from the burning guilt inside and cold because she knew to keep her emotions and feelings estranged with this man.

"Why did you stay last night?" She questioned. Aaliyah brushed her fingers through her hair, but her eyes never wavered from his. "I mean I know I asked you to, but why agree?"

"You ignored my question," Terrence noted with a smile, "but I guess, I decided to stay because that's something I've wanted since we began this. I was just waiting for you to finally give the greenlight." Terrence stared at Aaliyah, waiting for a response that never came. "Everything will be okay. I told Michelle I had to cover for someone. Timothy called out sick last night, but my supervisor found someone else to cover his route." Terrence pulled Aaliyah closer and began placing kisses on the nape of her neck. "I told you. You never have to worry. About. Anything." Terrence mused between kisses. Aaliyah pushed away from him, causing Terrence to arch an eyebrow yet again.

"She's your fiancé, Terrence." Aaliyah mumbled. "You asked that woman to marry you, but you're still coming to see me."

"Why is this a problem all of a sudden?" He asked, as he shuffled in the bed to get comfortable.

"You're making that woman your wife!" She forced out through clenched teeth.

"And?"

"Terrence, don't be stupid." Aaliyah said. "You chose to spend the rest of your life with her. So why even bother continuing this?" She questioned while pointing back and forth between the two of them. Terrence dropped his head and tossed the comforter off his body. Aaliyah watched him get out of bed and begin to dress himself in the corner of her room.