== Chapter One ==

Reef sat perched in a tree, staring down at the cloud of smoke that came out of a nearby bush.

A Blaze Born, no doubt.

He watched as the Blaze jumped at a deer he had been stalking, failing to catch it but being successful in spooking it off.

"Nice job, clutz." He laughed as he fired an arrow at the boy. The arrow missed his shoulder just barely, lodging into a tree.

"Who the fuck are you?" He snapped at the feline.

"The name's Reef, and you're on my land, Hot Head." Reef yawned, lying down and flicking his tail lazily.

"Don't call me that."

"Then what do you want me to call you, Smokey?" He stretched, his tail curling around the branch he lay on. He wore a smug grin.

"My name is Phoenix." The blaze snapped, throwing a stick at Reef.

"Me-ow." Reef said, flicking his wrist. "I think Hot Head suits you better for multiple reasons."

"I- ARE YOU FLIRTING WITH ME?" Phoenix screeched, taking several steps back.  Reef burst out laughing at this reaction.

"Yeah. I believe I am." Reef said as he jumped down.

"Well.. knock it off!"

"Okay." Reef shrugged

"Wait- 'okay'?"

"I respect boundaries." He nodded, smiling.

"I was not expecting that from a feline." Phoenix blinked in confusion.

"And I wasn't expecting to be kept alive this long while interacting with a blaze born."  Reef replied, putting a hand on his hips. "So, Phoenix, what brings you here?"

"I'm lost." Phoenix grumbled, embarrassed to admit this.

"Of course you are. Come on. Follow me, I know my way around."