CHAPTER ONE:

The bags were on the floor as I shook off the blankets around me. The sun wasn't even out yet, but I knew I had to go now. I had parked the car just right last night.

The note to my mother was already written and on the table in the sitting room.

I passed the photos on the mantle, and decided to snag one or two of them.

Took the cardigan off the couch that mom bought me last year for my birthday. Took my keys off the hook, and closed the door behind me, making sure to lock it as soon as I was out.

Dad would never forgive me for leaving it open.

They might not know what I was doing but they didn't need to either.

They would be mad.

But I would be far gone by the time they even woke up.

I was very sheltered, you see. My parents grew up in the type of world where being white meant being safe.

I had heard so many stories of mom playing in the streets, being able to actually ride a train. It almost made me sick to my stomach to see the streets in front of me looking as dangerous as ever.

I wouldn't even have dared doing this if I didn't know better. If I didn't know what would happen in the next year, or rather, wouldn't happen in the next year.

They wouldn't understand.

They didn't need to. All they needed to understand was that this was never going to be home again. I needed to accept that too.

That's why my resignation letter was laid on my boss's office table, and my desk cleared out. It was why my closet was empty, and every last dime I had was spent on buying furniture that was now waiting for me in a flat across the country. It was why I had sent CV after CV for months trying to find something in a place that used to be home for those before me.

Maybe it would be home for those after them too.

Man I hoped so.

***

The road was quiet, with the sun coming up in even tones on the horizon. I had decided to put on some music to drown out the never-ending thoughts running through my mind.

The Lumineers.

I have loved them for years. The sound of them on the radio reminded me of my teenage years, the first year I had started working, and the longest relationship I had.

It reminded me of who I was, and why I was running from her.

***

COVID hit some easy. They didn't notice that life had changed until the lockdown came and they all had to work from home.

But it would be no time until they could travel, could find a good job and maybe even have an alright future.

For most though, it hit like a bomb.

For me, it was atomic.

I was looking down at 23, and I had done nothing I promised myself that I would.

I went to pick up my license yesterday at the traffic department and just looked at it for an hour, wondering if this is finally it?

For so long I told myself "I just need to do this" and then it would all be okay. Just one more goal to reach until I could do something about the bottomless pit my life has become.

Through the years I became depressed. Anxious even.

Of course, being a La Ponte, everything always had to be okay.

No one asked you if you were really okay because they always just assumed that you were fine.

It wasn't true though.

And it was never supposed to be that way in the first place.

I had dreams, aspirations. I had a whole life planned. And in none of those plans did I sit looking at the peach colour of my walls at home, trying to summon the will to dream of going to Greece or Italy.

Recently I added Israel to that list.

That was until COVID.

It was all because of COVID.

I kept telling myself that. But I still didn't know if it was true or not.

But it was over now.

"Your destination is on the left." Siri announced over the speakers of my car.

It had taken almost all day. The sun was close to setting in the distance. I would give it about two hours. But I was in front of the place I would call home for who knows how long.

Franschhoek was beautiful. Driving in, I had seen so many grapevines sharing the view of the mountains. And everything was green.

I hadn't seen anything so green in years.

The La Ponte's old winery was not even a ten minute drive from where I was now.

And the complex in front of me looked so much better in person than it did in the pictures.

It looked like freedom.

"You must be Sophie." Said a familiar voice. "Good to finally meet you in person."

I turned around and found a middle aged coloured man standing behind the gate.

"You must be Fransie. It's equally nice to meet you too."

His smile was infectious, I very soon realized.

"Did you have an alright journey here? Quite far for a young lady like yourself to come." He said, a small frown marring his brow.

"Oh no. The journey was fine. I would just give anything for a little rest right now." I let out a little laugh at this.

"Well, your movers brought some of your things this afternoon. Hopefully, you'll be able to get more than a little rest." He smiled again.

***

The flat was small, but as inexpensive as you would be able to find in this part of the country. I had taken out a loan behind my parent's back in order to pay everything.

The furniture was second hand, but sturdy. And most of it,I found at small vintage furniture shops.

Of course I couldn't find everything I needed so I would have to make due without a proper couch and some odd kitchen equipment.

I had been blessed though, to have been able to get everything ready in so short a time.

And it was eight o'clock at night and I had just finished moving everything into place from where the movers had put it.

Fransie had opened for them, I took it. I asked him to because I knew the road there would be longer than I planned.

But all in all, everything looked perfect.

Taking a step back, I looked around my flat.

Home.

Yes, it was home.

***
If you liked this chapter, please hit the star button to show your support ♥️