CHAPTER ONE:

London High Society.

It truly might be the most fun you'll ever have...if you're a mama looking for a husband for her daughter.

If you're a daughter, and one at that, who does not want to get married, well every ball feels like you just swallowed half a thornbush.

Especially when a certain Mr Kingsley is looking at you as if you have just turned into a very salacious piece of chicken.

"Geraldine, straighten your posture. You'll never attract the attention of a worthy suitor while slouching like that. And fix your dress!" My mother scolded me.

What I really wanted to tell her was finding a husband was the last thing I could possibly care about at this very moment.

I was hungry, and Lady Westwick hadn't even bothered to put out refreshments that would halfway be considered filling.

The dress my mother had decided on was also very hot. I don't know how women are still allowed to wear these stifling contraptions. To top it all off the lady's maid had tightened it one too much on the suggestion of Her Majesty, my mother, Mrs Bernadette Towers.

I had almost had enough of this nonsense. Really. When will the never-ending society events end?

"Ah! Lady Westwick. How lovely to see you again. You really have outdone yourself this evening." My mother gushed from next to me, the sour expression on her face at the sight of my posture, being replaced by the most insufferable friendly smile I had ever witnessed.

"Mrs Towers. Truly wonderful to see you again. It has been ages since we've had a good ball, don't you think?" she smiled in the direction of my all too lovely mother.

"I can't agree more." It was then that she seemed to remember the presence of her, well dressed yet suffocating, daughter. "You remember my daughter, Geraldine?"

"Oh how could I forget? Such a lovely girl. I heard of Mr. Kingsley coming to tea the other day. Has he seen you yet? He would certainly faint seeing you in this beautiful ensemble."

"Oh, Lady Westwick, I believe he has already seen me. In fact he's been staring at me all night like I'm a painting in the Louvre museum in Paris." I smiled at her sweetly.

I don't think the smile lessened my mother's ire in that very moment, though.

I could feel her drilling bullets into my skull with her stare.

"Well, Geraldine. I believe you should be flattered." Lady Westwick stated, her smile never leaving her face, but the disgust in her eyes all the more clear. "Mr Kingsley is quite the match. You would never want for money, or luxury for that matter. And he isn't that bad looking. Many women might envy you that."

If only that was enough for me.

She was right. Kingsley was a handsome man. Many a lady in this very ballroom were staring at him at this very moment, waiting to pounce on him. I, on the other hand, saw his affections as a distraction.

Distraction from what, you might ask?

I had been planning a trip for some time now to the colony of South Africa.

Granted, it wasn't the most luxurious of destinations but my Aunt Annalee stays there on a plantation in Franschoek.

I knew that I needed to get there, would do anything really, if only to get there.

"Of course, Lady Westwick." I answered, dragging myself out of the thought of my next adventure.

My answer seemed satisfying enough to make my mother and Lady Wesstwick stop glaring at me.

"Miss Towers."

The voice behind me made my stomach drop to the floor.

Turning around, I tried to brace myself for the inevitable.

"Mr Kingsley."

I tried to sound optimistic, I swear. But I couldn't help the gritting of my teeth as I said it.

His smile would've been lovely, really, if I had seen any kind of future with this ridiculously rich man.

"Would you care to dance? I believe a waltz is next." He asked, his hand poised to grab ahold of my dance card.

I hesitated. I knew what it would mean if I accepted his dance. Every mama in the room would know that Mr Kingsley had just as well been taken off the market. He chose a bride and it was going to be Geraldine Towers.

Looking over at my mother, I silently pleaded with her to get me out of this. But all I received was an icy stare daring me to say no and see what happens.

So I nodded and held out my dance card.

***
If you liked this chapter, please hit the star button to show your support ♥️