Chapter 2

Andy POV

Our van speeds down the highway towards NYC. Chiron stayed back to help with out leadership duties. Apparently the campers can't function without someone shouting orders.

"I know! We can sing!" Leona trills. "99 bottles of nectar on the wall, 99 bottles of nectar, you take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of nectar on the wall!"

She takes a breath for the next verse. Ralph leans over. "If you sing one more freaking verse, I'll call my dogs. Vulcan made some upgrades when he fixed them up, and I've been itching to try them."

Caleb looks on with a conflicted look on her face. I'm guessing half of her is cracking up, and the other half wants to protect her boyfriend- or girlfriend, I guess. How does that work...

In the front seat, Thalis screams for us to shut up so we can concentrate on driving. Naturally, Jamie, Pricilla, and Leona are quiet for three seconds before bursting, "98 bottles of nectar on the wall, 98 bottles of nectar!"

I swear, those three are going to die someday soon. I picture Seaweed Brain waltzing up to a monster and singing Happy Birthday or something.

Thalis slams on the brakes, sending us all flying into the person in front of us. I pick myself off of Harry. "Sorry."

He rubs his head. "No worries."

We all cram into the elevator and try not to listen to The Final Countdown by Europe. Leona hums along until Caleb slaps him.

Pricilla leads the way into the throne room. I swear, there is a good 2 minutes of complete silence before the gods burst out in laughter.

"Hello! Not-so-funny situation here!" Jamie screams. "Now which one of you did this?"

The gods looked at each other, each waiting for a confession. Eventually everyone's gaze landed on Hermes, who was still chuckling under his breath. He looks up. "What? No, I didn't do it. But whoever did has a good sense of humor!" He cracks up.

Athena growls. "This is not a laughing matter, Hermes. My daughter- or, um, son- is in a serious situation. If these demigods are busy trying to find a way to reverse this, what are the camps going to do? Organize and run themselves?"

"So what do you propose, Athena?" Zeus booms. I wonder what she will say. This situation is hard to get out of.

I realize what she's going to say a few seconds before she says, "The only possible solution to this is that we run the camps."

The Olympians cause an uproar. I honestly wonder if the people of New York can hear us. I imagine what they think- 'Hey, Darla, what was that noise?' 'An exploding gas line!' Honestly, these mortals blame everything on exploding gas lines. What is their problem?

Hestia stands and quiets the gods. "Athena, why is that?"

"Perhaps my dau- sorry, son, can answer that."

I stand. "It's simple, really. The problem is leadership. The camps have no one to run the programs and activities, the paperwork, and the campers themselves. It's not a job for one centaur, so many beings must do it. Also there's the issue of Thalia's Hunters. The only logical replacements for us is the gods. First of all, you are leaders, so you know how everything works on that basis. The campers will listen to you. And who better to teach the campers than their parents?"

No one says a word. Each god or goddess has a different expression on their face, some thoughtful, some outraged, and some faces blank. Finally Artemis speaks up. "This may be the best solution."

"There is nothing about this plan that appeals to me!" Ares yells. "Especially since Owl Brain here came up with it!"

Aphrodite leans over. "Ares, honey, you can teach your kids to pummel monsters while you're there. And teach sword fighting."

Ares sighed. "Yes, I suppose I could grace these demigods with my presence."

Apollo beamed- literally. "I think this is a great idea! I can introduce the amazingness of haikus! And let people soak up my awesomeness!"

Zeus looks around. "Is it decided then? All in favor?" All 14 hands go up. "Then you will help out with the camp."

I go over his statement in my mind. Something is not right... "Lord Zeus?" I say. "Do you understand that you are expected to help as well?"

He glares at me. "I am most certainly not! Somebody has to run the world!"

"I think the minor gods should have a chance at helping for once," Hestia says soothingly.

"But... Janus will force everyone to make major life choices, and Morpheus will make everyone sleep too much, and Hecate will have mist in overdrive, and-"

"Enough, Zeus!" Hera cuts him off. "It will be fine."

Mother smiles. "Then you demigods can search for a cure to this... problem. Andy? I assume you know where to look first?" I nod. "Good. We'll be off now."

I step back and stand next to Pricilla, shielding my eyes against the glow of the gods' true forms. This may work out... possibly. I really hope we can find this cure soon.

-------

Meanwhile...

"Not the gods! I should have seen this coming!" Tartarus fumes. He paces back in forth in front of his pet. "There has to be another way to mess them up!"

"Father...? Have you considered sending this same curse to the gods?" Porphyrion says from the corner.

"NO. That would never work, it would drain my power too much..." Tartarus snaps. "I'll just have to think. But when I come up with something, it will be so effective, those gods will be bowing at my feet."