A Late Night Conversation

Oliver's POV

The ride home was torture, simply because I drove us home and couldn't look at my babies. I was immensely jealous of Elliott, who was sitting in the back, talking and playing with them.

Tate was watching them with love in his eyes. He had occasionally tried to help me with the directions, but he always ended with his face turned around, staring at our mate and our babies.

"I'm so relieved," Elliott sighed. It was one of the first things we said the entire ride.

I extended my hand backward and some of my residual fear faded as Elliott's smaller hand tucked into mine. "Me too, baby."

"I know it was only a few days, "Tate said. "But it really does feel like they were gone for weeks."

I remembered the knot of anxiety that had existed in my gut every moment my children were gone. Every second had felt like forever.

"It won't happen again," Elliott said.

I caught myself nodding along in the mirror without realizing that I was doing it. "No. Never."

From here on out, we were going to protect our family. Nothing was going to get in the way of that.

When we arrived back home, our house was packed with people, just like when we had been conducting the investigation. Except instead of random officers, it was our family members. And our parents hugged us like we'd been away from war.

"I'm so happy for you boys," my mom gushed, like something awesome had happened. "You know, this whole thing has been terrible, but I am so glad that it's resolved."

Dad gave me a solid pat on the shoulder. "This will only make you stronger later on, son."

I had no idea what that was supposed to mean. My dad was a weird man.

We put up with their doting, even though I flinched a little when they insisted on holding and cuddling the babies. I was definitely about to become a helicopter parent due to this whole thing.

"So tell us again what happened?" Elliott's mom asked, leaning forward with intent. "Was this young man sick in the head?"

"Possibly," I began, because I didn't want Elliott or Tate to have to retell the story. They didn't deserve to have to do that. "He seemed to want a white wolf baby and thought that this was his best bet. Somethin' about... well, I dunno, I guess his father shamed him about not being able to continue the family line."

She was shaking her head before I'd even finished. "Well, don't you worry. If Alpha Zander doesn't give him punishment..."

She trailed off and cracked her knuckles. Her husband rested his hand over hers lightly, but his eyes seemed to be sparked with a certain rage.

"I'm sure this will be handled with care," Dad said. "Think of the benefits. It's very likely that, with the reparations, the Evergreen Pack will be in massive financial debt to you."

Yeah, that was it for me. The pain that we went through, the horrible fear and sickening thoughts that I was forced to have, wasn't going to be boiled down to silver linings.

"Actually, I think we're all feelin' pretty tired."
Tate, who was looking worn-down already, said, "Yeah, not to be rude, but I think we could use some alone time."

Elliott hugged both his parents and said, "I promise I'll see you tomorrow. Just...today has been a lot to deal with."

"We completely understand," Elliott's dad said, giving him a kiss on the forehead. "You boys spend some time with each other and your babies."