CHAPTER 7: PERCENTAGE

Start from the beginning

"Tsk, why are they so late?" Goh spoke up.

Kian shrugged. "It's the netball club. What do you expect?"

Just as he said that, Alexis and another girl, whom Kian didn't recognize, turned the corner into the section of picnic tables. Alexis was on her phone while the other girl with a tied up wavy ponytail was carrying a bag and had such a straight and serious face, she could basically be stoicism incarnate. Both of them were wearing training shorts and their club's t-shirt from last year.

As they walked up to the table, Alexis put her phone down on it and looked at Goh. "Hm, I know you."

Goh smiled nervously. "Y-yea. I was the scorekeeper last Saturday."

"Um, Alexis," Kian pointed at the girl beside her. "Who is this?"

Alexis looked over at the girl beside her. "She's the netball club's secretary, Riya."

Kian still can't believe there were girls as tall as him but this wasn't the time to be comparing heights. "Ah, well. Riya, pleasure to meet you."

Riya just nodded at him, still giving him a straight face. Yeesh, come on, show some emotion. "Alright, gamer. Don't waste time. We have practice in half an hour." Alexis said as both girls sat down.

Kian exhales loudly. "Ok then, so my plan is to have a collaboration tournament where one part of it is for netball and one part of it is for gaming." He looks to Goh. "Goh if you may show them the rough outline?"

Goh swipes a few times on her iPad and gives it to Riya who then shares the screen with Alexis. Alexis and Riya carefully examined the format of the tournament written on Goh's iPad. Kian explains that up to eight teams consisting of two players each will compete with each other. One player has to participate in some sort of netball game and the other has to complete a lap on a racing simulator. The faster the time, the higher points they will score. Every detail of the event from date to the prizes have been outlined neatly in the iPad.

"Y'know gamer, I've got to give it to you. I would never have thought of this stuff." Alexis looked up at Kian who beamed.

"Well, I have been thinking about it for over two months now."

"But what exactly do you want my club to do?"

"Anything that involves scoring points by only one person."

Alexis furrows her eyebrows and holds her chin. "Probably just shooting?" She looks at Riya who just nods her head.

"Shooting?" Kian raises an eyebrow.

She looks back at Kian. "Well, shooting in netball is pretty simple; for us anyway. To normal people it should be a little more difficult."

"Well," Kian shrugged. "If you say so."

Alexis raised an eyebrow at him. "What? You think it's easy?"

Kian tilted his head side to side. "Depends really."

Alexis shoots him a look but seemed to move on from that statement. "So, all my club needs to do is count the scores for made shots?"

Kian nodded.

"Netball in the evening then throughout the night will be the racing, correct?"

"Correct." Kian motions at Goh. "My club will complete the paperwork for this event."

"I can do it with you." Kian was caught off guard by Riya's sudden voice, as she looked up from her own iPad. It was really cute and high pitched, something he didn't expect from a girl with a stone face.