CHAPTER FOUR

"Sirius? What's wrong?"

"Someone is going to die."

"What? Who?"

"Someone is going to die. And it's going to be my fault."

"Why would it be your fault, Sirius?"

"Because I can see it, and if I can't change it, people are going to die. People I care about are going to die."

It wasn't the first year Sirius went without their parents to the Hogwarts Express. Even in fourth year, Sirius took themself and Regulus to the train. They made sure Regulus had everything he needed, expressed that if he needed anything to come to them, and set him off on the train while Sirius went to find their friends.

This would be the first year of going to the train without Regulus. It was the first year Sirius went to the train with a brand new family. Mr. and Mrs. Potter both gave Sirius a hug, promising both of them to send letters and treats when they felt stressed. Sirius felt a part of themself melt at the promise and struggled to keep the tears from surfacing.

Marlene quickly found and caught up to the boys. She looped her arm through theirs with a quirk of their lips. "I will be putting up my brother for adoption, if you're looking for any more strays to take in, Potter."

"I'm not a stray. Don't say that like Prongs found me on the side of the road, I sought him out." Sirius protested with a whine, running a hand through their hair. "What did your poor brother do? It's bad enough that you're his sibling, I think he's free to cause as much ruckus as he wants for that curse."

"Watch it, Black. Your family is much more dysfunctional than mine and I have no problems pointing that out. I don't care how out of line it may seem. Marcus decided it would be a lovely idea to throw my clothes all over the house. Shirts in the bathtub, pants behind the couch, bras in the basement, dresses on the lawn. It took me almost an hour to gather them all and almost made me late for the blasted train."

James took his arm back as they boarded the train. They went in front of the duo and checked each compartment for the group. Marlene and Sirius stayed connected, fitting in the tight space side by side with no problem. "How old is he?"

"He's six. I think Millie had something to do with it all. She's the clever one in the house. Much more clever than me, and she's thirteen. A menace to society. I would put her up for adoption but she's the one who keeps me up to date on all the good music, so I gotta keep her around. Her sense of style is also just exquisite. I don't know whose child she is because my parents are helpless when it comes to that stuff."

Regulus strangely had a good taste in fashion as well. He never needed Sirius' help and dressed very differently but just as well. Almost like Mary's sense of fashion (which she apparently called comfy, dark academica. Sirius didn't know what that meant, but it looked good). "Oh, Marls, I think I want to get a piercing. A silver hoop, either in my lip or my nose. Or an eyebrow piercing. I'm not too picky, I just want something. A tattoo would be cool too but I don't trust anyone at this fucking school to give me a tattoo. I would trust Mary to give me a piercing. They seem like the type of person to know how to."

It never failed to surprise Sirius how much Mary knew. She knew how to roll a joint, how to bake any dessert off the top of their head, and she promised to help when Sirius brought up building a motorcycle because they had fixed a couple of them up, but was overall better at fixing cars. "She does. They gave Dorcas their septum piercing and that came out fabulous."

"Dorcas came out fabulous as well."

"She came out by standing on top of the Gryffindor table and announcing gender is fake and he will use any pronouns, then hexed the first person that insulted him."