CHAPTER ONE

Sirius had never spent a full summer at the Potter house

Sirius had never spent a full summer at the Potter house. They were lucky to spend a week there in the past. One week where their parents let up on the reins and let Sirius have time to themself. For Sirius to spend time doing anything other than divination. They wished they kept their mouth shut when they were nine so they wouldn't have to spend any time at home after that practicing with tarot cards, studying astrology and what the stars had to say, taking disgusting teas that their mother insisted helped with visions of seers.

It took Sirius too long to learn that their family only wanted to know their future. As they got older, their parents were more insistent on their visions. They knew something was happening. Everyone in the wizarding community knew something was building. Some force that is gaining power and threatens their lives. Their parents wanted to know who would succeed, and therefore, who they should back, but Sirius never saw any visions of it. Their visions were only of when their mother beat them and tortured them for hours before finally escaping. Blood dripped from their arms and face, tense with every movement that made their muscles scream.

Regulus had put one of Sirius' arms over his shoulders. He was shorter than Sirius, only fifteen and finally hitting a growth spurt. He was scared, so scared that even Sirius could see through the blinding pain. Sirius didn't remember how they got there, didn't have any memory of the trip or hold ups. They only remember being knocked back into the present with the louds bangs on a door. Regulus' face was tense with lines bending between his eyebrows and mouth set with determination.

Sirius hadn't spoken to James in weeks. Hasn't spoken to any of the marauders since The Oversight ( or as they heard Peter call it, The Prank ). They all hated them. Sirius didn't blame them. Sirius hated themself too. They had seen it all happen a month before and still let the events play through. They let Snape get on their nerves. They let him talk shit and misgender them a thousand times, begging themselves not to break. Not to betray Remus in this way.

But Snape already knew. Sirius knew he already knew. He had been following them for months. He asked questions that were too specific, too suspective of what they all knew he wanted to know. Snape knew, and Sirius knew he knew.

Sirius didn't think he was as much of an idiot to go looking for a werewolf on a full moon. Snape was supposed to be smart, afterall. He figured out Remus was a werewolf, figured out the marauders and several of the Hogwarts staff all knew, even figured out where he went on the full moon. Yet, he couldn't figure out you don't go looking for a werewolf on a full moon?

Sirius wonders what would've happened if they didn't let Narcissa pull them aside to talk. If they kept walking and stayed with James to prepare for the full moon that night. Regret was a useless emotion Sirius didn't have time for. They regretted nothing as they thought it was the right choice at that moment. People can see the consequences each choice may have, but they can't see regret. They can't see how negatively it could impact them. Sirius refused to regret any choice they've made in their life.