forty seven | stay

"These journals are amazing."

"I know. And they're all about medicine. I mean, there's, like, no personal crap, no talk about boyfriends or feelings. She hardly even mentions Mer."

"Yes, thank you for pointing that out."

"They're like the Harry Potter books I never had."

"They're even better than the Harry Potter books I had."

Derek groans from beside me, hugging the pillow over his head. I run a hand over his bare shoulder before whispering to the girls.

"I'll see you guys at the hospital, 'kay?"

They hang up with a couple short goodbyes, and I turn to the restless body next to me. My lips leave a trail of kisses up his neck and jaw, waking him up instantly.

"Sorry for waking you up." I whisper softly into his ear. "Make it up to you later?"

Derek lifts his head up, locking eyes with me before smirking mischievously. "If you're wondering how. . .I can think of a couple of ways."

"Save it for tonight, Shep."

"You owe me, Lev."

As soon as we arrive at the hospital, Cristina and Meredith drag me away from him. I flash an apologetic smile before following them to our morning skills lab.

"Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce. . .Stan."

The chief uncovers the sheet to reveal. . .a dummy.

"State-of-the-art computerized patient simulator. Stan can educate you in airway management, trauma assessment, and care. He breathes, he pulsates, he seizes, he hemorrhages, he secretes, and. . .he speaks."

He clears his throat before proceeding.

"Hello, Stan."

"Hello, doctor. I'm not feeling well."

Chills run down my spine at the monotonous, robotic voice. "Well, I don't know about you, but I won't be sleeping tonight."

"Stan will tell you what he needs, and he's more forgiving than most patients. You kill him, he'll keep coming back for more."

"Is this not the plot to The Terminator?"

"So make good use of him, people."

Since George had retaken the intern exam and passed, he'd been promoted to a resident, joining the rest of us for the skills lab.

According to Bailey, the point of the skills lab is to show the chief that we are capable of being good surgeons. And at the end, he'll choose one of us to perform a solo surgery.

"The kind of metastases you have are prone to spontaneous bleeding. So, there are considerable risks to the surgery." Derek tells the elderly couple.

"Are you saying that this one might be a little dicier?" Mr. and Mrs. Bullard inquire simultaneously.

"It will be dicier than your previous surgeries." I reply with a sympathetic voice.

Derek sets aside the patient file. "I want to be clear. You can live with this tumor for months or if not longer."

"Not-Not like this. Not feeling this bad." She looks up at her husband. "I understand that risks are part of the package. That's why you people make me go cross-eyed signing all these forms."

"Are you signing a DNR order?"

"If it's my time to go —"

"She doesn't want to be on a life support kind of thing. She'd hate that."