Ch.6 what is normal?

Start from the beginning

Just after I left I saw a girl that looked around Tahera's age.

"Looking for someone?" She asked and I hesitated before speaking to her.

"Um ya. Do you know-

I looked up to see a bunch of girls giggling. As soon as I saw them look up at me I felt my knees go weak. My heart sunk and I looked down in shame. I wish I didn't see it.

"Tahera." I said, my voice echoes through the halls and it took their attention.

"The hot guy's calling your name Tahera!" One of the girls squealed.

"That's-"

"Don't embarrass me." I said walking over to her not wanting her to call me her brother.

"I'm her neighbour. Her mom told me to pick her up." I said.

"Ooo Tera we didn't know you had such a hot neighbour!" One of them teased. I didn't give her my attention and only kept my gaze at Tahera.

"Gotta go I'll see you tomorrow." She said waving them off following after me.

I unzipped my jacket and gave it to her.

"Put the hood on." I said.

"I have my hijab in my bag." She said quietly.

"Shut up and put it on Tahera." I said gritting my teeth. I was doing my best to not let my anger get the better of me.

We both got in and I slammed my door shut and looked at her.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked looking at her nervous face.

"It was hot." She said shrugging.

"Tahera. How long have you been doing this?"

"Grade 11."

"Why?"

"Because I don't wanna wear it Taha. I just wanna be me without having the Muslim tag on me all the time. I look good without it. People are nicer and give me attention. With my hijab I'm just a loser."

"No you are not! You are a representation of your religion what do you mean a loser?"

"Well I don't want to be!" She argued.

"You've been lying to us."

"Well what was I suppose to do? You guys would just stop me from going to school!" She argued back.

"Ok." I said ending the conversation. I was so angry I was afraid I'd hurt her.

"Slow down! You're going to kill us!" She squealed seeing that I was driving way past the speed limit but I don't care.

Once we got home I went to my room and prayed and made dua. I folded laundry and waited for Adnan's car to pull into the parking lot.

"Salam Alaykum." Hawa said after knocking on our room door.

"Walaykum Salam."

"Are you okay?" She asked her voice barely louder than a whisper.

"Ya. Stay here." I said leaving the room and going down to the living room where my mother was. She was sitting on the couch watching her show.

"Tahera stopped wearing her hijab." I said looking at her face.

"What?" She asked turning the tv off.

"She's not wearing her hijab. Did you know this?" I asked glaring at her.

"What do you mean how the hell would I know. Is she insane bring her let me send her to her father. That shameless girl." My mom spat.