The One Who Resists God, Part One

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Team Klein (Klein, Agil, Sinon, Leafa) were assigned the second gate, visually that of the Oldrobe Forest area. They had it easy, with four levels to ascend.

Team Philia IPhilia, Strea, Silica, Alice) were assigned the fourth gate, which took on the likeness of the Stalvatos Ruins, the initial floor entering on Aincrad, and six levels in total. Apparently they had an easy time too.

Why do I add that they had things easy? My team of tree entered the fourth gate, modeled after the Northazard Tundra. One, its cold, and Koharu and I being winter babies means nothing. Two, as we got to the seventh and final floor, a paralysis trap was sprung, leaving me the only one capable of moving and fighting the boss.

Maybe I was being overly careful since Liz and Ko were in danger, but it took a moment to beat the boss.

We set the crystals in place and defended it from the onslaught of monsters for five minutes that felt like five hours despite our strength and teamwork. Hearing them fire at the warp gate was a beautiful moment, and signalled our mission was complete.

It was around six-thirty pm when we rescued Tia and reunited the group. We're back at the final path to the singularity, and it's about a quarter till ten. The singularity works just like the four dungeons from before. Nine floors, several obstacles to be in our path, and one goal:

Save Tia's data.

xxxxxxxxx

It is close to ten-thirty as I take my first step on the final floor of the singularity's self-made dungeon. Physically, I'm tired, and I've long decided that holding back my yawns were a worthless effort. I'm not the only one, everyone whose human (Real World human, that is) is hanging on by a thread of adrenaline and purpose. To be honest, if I was sure Alice, Strea, Premiere, and Tia could accomplish this themselves, I'd convince the others we should log out.

We walk down the row of pillars in the large chamber to a bright light at the other end. The sense of the climactic final battle, a sensation we've had numerous times now, partially rejuvenates me.

It's instantly washed away as we come into the boss chamber, a stone arena surrounded by fire. Several large rings of varying thicknesses hover above the arena, with a pillar of fire in the center of them all. And just when I'm getting my bearings, our enemy makes its landing in front of us. Plated entirely in gold armor, with wings of light extending out the back and a spear long enough to make a kabob of all fifteen of us at once on the rainbow-glowing blade.

I look at Kirito, waiting for him to say his catchphrase, but he's too stunned or exhausted to say those two words. He just moves forward and we follow to battle against Reign, the Last Apostle.

For the first time in SA:O since facing Tia six months ago in the center of the forming Aincrad, we're fighting a major boss without any information on it. This battle will put four years, four to five virtual realities of experience, and our knowledge of each other and ourselves to the test. That is, if we don't fall asleep first.

Once we're in proximity of Reign, we scatter out. On instinct, I align myself with Koharu and do what I do best, analyzing the situation to keep the two of us safe. Granted, I'm not that teenager who solely cared for his singular goal of protecting Koharu on the first floor of Old Aincrad, but you get the point. I'm looking for weaknesses in Reign's armor, exploits we can use, something other than flailing our swords wildly and hope to make a dent in its health.

One obvious fact is that it's slow moving, but even the novice Koharu could see that. There's also an attack delay, so it can't chain attacks, and the armor turns ready for about three seconds. I don't need to make mention of it, the others are already taking advantage of the delay with quick strikes, though there isn't enough time to launch a sword skill that requires a prone pre-skill stance or lengthy number of hits like Kirito's Starburst Stream.