Ch. 4: After breakfast negotiations

"Winter Rental", Ch. 4: After breakfast negotiations, by Gratiana Lovelace, January 21, 2022 (Post #1441) 

["Winter Rental" is an original contemporary romance copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2022; all rights reserved]   [(1) the "Winter Rental" story cover (above far left); other image credits are at the end of each chapter(s) post]

[Author's note: I cast my characters as I write my stories—to help myself and my readers visualize the main characters. So my main characters for "Winter Rental" are: Richard Armitage as Greg Halliday; Cameron Diaz as his younger sister Connie Halliday; Anne Hathaway as Diana Langley; Liam Hemsworth as Eddie Hughes; Rege-Jean Page as Mike Porter, and others as noted.

I will post new story chapters on both my SAL blog, as well as, on my Wattpad site. And initially, I posted Ch. 0 through Ch. 2 to get this story started, then after that I will post new chapters weekly.

This is also a gentle romance (with chapters being rated as PG-13 or so, unless otherwise noted), with some heartfelt romantic moments—and some mature romantic discussions put to humorous effect. So if you cannot or will not attend a movie with my maturity ratings, then don't read that chapter. And though I set my story in the lovely city and area of Galena, IL—which I have enjoyed visiting many times—for the purposes of my storytelling here, I use dramatic license of the facts, individuals, locations, etc. These are my disclaimers.]

                         "Winter Rental", Ch. 4: After breakfast negotiations

As their Saturday morning free breakfast at the [Pineridge Mountain Ski Resort & Hotel] restaurant concludes, Diana wonders if she will see Greg and Connie again during the week of their stay—in her home, Lakeside Cottage, as Winter weeklong renters. And Diana still can't believe that her friend and the Pineridge Ski Resort and Hotel Manager came up with that lilting name for her home on the spot. Or, if the Hallidays will spend time on their skiing pursuits—not something that Diana would be able to join in on with them. Then her unspoken question is answered, sort of, as she over hears Greg and Connie's discussion. Diana can't help it, she is standing right next to them, but they do not involve her in their conversation.

Greg: "Connie, I'm going to check with the [ski] resort about whether downhill skiing is allowed on the new snowpack today, then visit the Langley's sporting goods store when it opens—to purchase some cross country skis. Did you want to come along?" Though the Langley's sporting goods store also rents skis, Greg has the corporate lawyer income and savings cushion to just purchase whatever he wants. And since his own skiing equipment is more than 10 years old, he will opt to purchase new skis for himself—and for his sister Connie, if she wants it.

Connie: "Thanks Greg, but I need to go back to our cottage—or, to Diana's cottage—to change first. My short cocktail dress that I'm wearing from last night when we got snowed in, isn't exactly weather appropriate. I'll freeze to death. And I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was doing a walk of shame this morning." She pokes fun at herself—even though she was flirting like mad with every man in trousers last night, Connie is actually more circumspect in her dating behaviors. She just likes to shock her staid brother.

Greg: "I can take you back to the cottage first so you can change clothes, if you like." He offers considerately. And he plans to do a quick change as well. "Then we can go to the Langley's store together." Since Greg rented a not so mini minivan for their trip this week, he is also everyone's chauffer.

Connie: "Thanks, that will be great!"

Having not been a part of this brother and sister exchange, Diana senses that it is time for her to ease herself away from the Hallidays.

Diana: "Well, have fun, you two. It's been nice seeing you again. Enjoy your vacation." Diana smiles cordially, waves, then turns around to head out to her car for her errands today of shopping for newer kitchen appliances in town.