CHAPTER TWENTY . 疑心暗鬼

Depuis le début

Marriage was a contract, after all. The patron god that presided over Liyue (although no longer) still exerts an influence over you. You wondered if that was why your adoptive father never remarried after Ying Yue's death. The contract was still in place.

With reluctance, you bid a brief farewell to Scaramouche and followed the elderly woman to the back of the tea house. Past through all of the selves revealed a dark pathway leading to the basement. She led you down the staircase to the gambling den below— where in the entirety of the Black Dragons operation was kept under the guise of the tea house.

A low light fixture illuminated just enough for you to see the pool table in the center of the room; weapons laying atop the green velvet. It resembled a bar with themes of golden dragons and phoenixes etched onto the folding screen. A smog covered the flow and the scent of silk flowers and musk was prominent.

Eyes followed you as you trailed behind the elderly woman, prompting you to straighten your back as a result. There was no need for you to keep up appearances around these individuals— they could care less about the titles of those beyond their realm. Yet, you held yourself at a high standard. After all, the man you were about to meet was a friend of your late adoptive father.

"Director (l/n) seeks an audience with the leader." The elderly woman explained to the others who were staring at you. She briefly turned her attention back to you, a friendly smile present once again. "Do not fear, dear child. They wouldn't dare to harm you with me around."

You believed her. With just her tone and the gazes of others around you, she had their respect.

Just how highly ranked is this woman? The thought had crossed your mind but you shook it off as the two of you approached a room only labeled as 'The Velvet Room'.

"The leader is inside. If you need me at all, I will be by the door." You nodded, thanking her as you approached the door and knocked, awaiting an answer from within.

"Come in."

The metal felt cooling against your skin as you pushed on the door, revealing Wang Tian Yu sitting upright behind his desk. The room was relatively dark but the candles lit on golden candelabras on each side of the room provided enough light for you to see the leader.

"Director (l/n)." He acknowledged you with a nod before extending his hand out to his side— gesturing to the chair seated before his desk. "Please, make yourself comfortable. I hope my mother did not frighten you in any manner."

You flushed at the realization, breathing sharply. "I... was unaware that it was your mother. My apologies, I am improper to have assumed her status."

Wang Tian Yu chuckled, shaking his head. "She is not one for titles, do not worry. Besides, her former title as the leader of the Black Dragon now lies with me."

No wonder why the others listened to her... You thought to yourself, coughing into your fist before beginning your audience with the leader of the Black Dragon.

"I've come to speak to you on an important matter." You began speaking the moment you sat in the chair. "It regards my late father... and this empire he's built."

Wang Tian Yu raised an eyebrow at you, musing over the words. "What specifically about him?"

You breathed a quiet sigh, easing your nerves. "The men that he worked with. Are they to be trusted...?"

Silence followed your words; you knew you hit the right mark.

"They, like any other individual with power and money, can be corrupted. Authority as great as theirs can be used for evil and selfishness. Whether they are trustworthy or not, that is up to you, Director."