Chapter VIII

CHAPTER 8:-

What's failing an exam, when apparently I'm to die anyways.

All because of this pledge that I had no clue even existed up until a few days ago.

I glance at the small mark on my wrist.
I had scrubbed it, used soap, dish wash and every other imaginable technique possible, in hopes to get the small engraved crown and sword off my skin.

But to no avail, the only thing I was successful in, was getting my wrist a shade of red from the aggressive scrubbing.

The words from the book run through my mind.

Breaking the pledge would result in death.
If one of the former person dies, so does the latter, since they're 'connected' or 'bound' somehow.

Sure, there wasn't a guarantee that I would get attacked again, even if I did, i was told that the mark helps letting the other latter know that I might be in danger somehow.

That is what I was told at least.
But the problem was, Hendrix is apparently a powerful figure in his world, and has plenty of enemies, if by any chance someone tried to kill him, Hendrix would unintentionally (maybe even intentionally) drag me to the depths of the afterlife with him.

I wouldn't lie, I was terrified.

All this happened so abruptly, I needed a good week to come to terms that it might be possible that all this is true.

The frigid winter wind whipped across my face several time, making me snuggle deeper into my woolen coat.
I sat on the bench at the bus station, a cup of coffee warming my hands, I waited for my bus to arrive.

Remembering today's event made my heart twist with disappointment.
Of course I probably did terrible in this exam, I fell asleep through majority of it.
I leaned my head back against the glass of the bus stop, letting out a low frustrated huff from my mouth.
My breath came out foggy due to the cold weather.
I had studied well for this Exam too, and yet my lack of sleep cause an annoying issue in between.

I still was sleepy, and although i was hesitant to do so, due to the numerous bad dreams waiting for me. I still closed My eyes, almost surrendering to falling into the clutches of sleep.

A car passed by making my eyes flutter open again.
My vision focused to see someone standing a few feet away from me.
My eyes furrowed when I noticed her interesting attire.

Her black cap, and dark clothes, seemed thin, and it made me wonder how she wasn't freezing in this weather.
She carried a long staff in her grip, walking confidently across the road.

Averting my eyes, I lean my head back once more, my eyes closing shut.

Until I heard footsteps stop right in front of me.
I didn't bother opening my eyes, it was probably her or someone else waiting at the bus stop like Any other person would.

"After a while, i suppose its nice to know you're doing alright." A woman's delicate voice spoke up beside me.

After a few seconds silence, I opened my eyes to see the same unfamiliar woman with the staff.
I look around, only to see no one but us around.
"I'm sorry but, are you talking to me?" I asked.