Ross: Speaking of which, what's that book he gave you?

(Y/N): Right, that...

It was an odd book. The leather hardcover didn't have a title printed on it for some reason. Neither did the backside or the spine. (Y/N) went to check the first few pages and, lo and behold there it was.

Ross: Man, Mr. Lovecraft gave you some weird secret book didn't he?

(Y/N): Someone's acting all weird now, using his last name for a change.

Ignoring that, and the rude comment on his boss' trustworthiness, (Y/N) reads what the book is about.

(Y/N): What the hell is a Necrono—

Before he can finish that sentence, the house to their left, the one (Y/N) had just came from, literally explodes into a great fireball. A small piece of burning debris falls on the open book and sets it alight, making (Y/N) drop it before he burns himself.

Shortly after something small lands in front of them, a chain that used to be wrapped comfortable around Howard's cat's neck, white hot and still bearing an illegible nametag written in cursive.

(Y/N): W-what the? Howard?

Absolutely stunned by what he had seen, (Y/N) takes a small step towards the burning house before his brother puts a forceful hand on his shoulder to snap him out of it.

Ross: Inside. Now.

He turns the key and opens the door, and both the young men look inside to something that shouldn't be just sitting in the center of the house. A lost, wrapped tightly in belts upon belts filled with explosives, like a present you didn't want to open.

Of course, it screamed and pulled a pin from itself, but even it was drowned out by Ross' scream.

Ross: OUTSIDE! NOW!

Dragging his little brother away from the house, Ross barely manages to save the two of them as they are still caught in the shockwave of the huge blast and sent flying to the middle of the street. At the same time, the shelter sirens start blaring in alert and everything slows down for (Y/N) as he is midair, held by his brother, watching the very moment everything went to absolute shit.

That's when he pieces why everything looked off.

(Y/N): God damnit, I'm in a nightmare aren't I?

Just as he says that, he looks down at the ground where he's supposed to land and he sees a pool of blood red ichor swirling, then a multitude of blades springing up from the ground as time resumes flowing.

Just as a desperate (Y/N) was about to hit the blades, his eyes snap open and he's sitting in the couch where he slept.

The church was dark, as it was late at night or early in the morning, he didn't know for sure. (Y/N) was in a cold sweat, but he hadn't woken up brusquely like you'd expect someone having a nightmare.

He was already accustomed to that one, at any rate.

A small, electronic sound comes from his left. Glancing over, Io was sleeping just like him, in a sitting position, with a game still running on her lap.

A small sigh on his lips, (Y/N) grabs it, makes sure it's saved and puts it on rest mode. Battery is valuable, after all. Man was it cold tonight.

(Y/N): I guess anything is cold when you come out of a literal burning city.

(Y/N) pulls his blanket over his standing form, uncovering Io in the process. That he didn't like much. Just because revenants couldn't feel cold, or hot, probably more things he didn't even know, doesn't mean he should take blankets from them.