Chapter 2.5 (the end of training and the beginning of something else)

Castiel had been in training for almost 2 weeks. Today was the first day they handled their guns. After they were taught how to handle a gun (aka not shoot each other or themselves) they moved on to a shooting range. The immediate result was not very hopeful. The boys were in partners in a shooting range. They were instructed to set up their guns and take 10 shots. Darren was next to Castiel in an instant and they set off at once. Darren had quick fingers and had not trouble loading his gun. Castiel was having more trouble. His hands were shaky and he couldn't the gun steady. Darren say this and put down his own weapon. "Here, let me help."  Darren moved closer to Cas and put his hand over Cas's and the gun. Darren put his other hand on Castiel’s back to straightened his shoulders. " hold it steady. Take a deep breath and focus on your target he whispered into Cas's ear. Castiel wasn't sure why but he couldn't focus with Darren so close to him. He wondered if Darren could hear his heart beating because it felt like it would fly out of his chest. Castiel took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. Instead of studying Darren’s face, like he wanted to so desperately, he looked ahead at his target. He took another slow breath in and counted in his mind.  1...2...3...Castiel pulled the trigger and shut his eyes. He could feel Darren’s whole body shake with laughter and still holding him. "Well you were pretty close for a guy with his eyes closed. " chuckled Darren. Castiel took another deep breath and looked back at Darren. Instead of cruelty because of his mistake, Castiel saw fondness in Darren’s eyes, like he found the whole thing amusing. His soft lips in a smile, dimples on his cheeks, eyes greener than his army uniform with soft crinkles around the edges. It was like it didn't even matter and it was okay to make mistakes but Uriel or Anna would have punished him for failing. "Come on, try again." encouraged Darren. Cas glanced at their hands that were still touching. "Oh sorry." Muttered Darren, his cheeks turning red. Castiel found himself missing Darren's touch as soon as it was gone.

THE WAR STILL WAGING. IT WAS ALMOST TIME FOR THE BOYS TO BE REAL SOLDIERS. MOST OF THE TRAINEES WOULD MOVE ON TO A BASE IN FRANCE AND BE GIVEN THEIR ASSIGNMENTS THERE.

“Well lads, you were a bunch of pussies at the start but with a lot of help, you are men. You will serve this country and the allies well. You will show courage and honor. you will fight for what is right. may we meet again boys, once you HAVE WON THIS WAR!!!!” The crowd erupted with screams of new soldiers ready to leave training and fight. Ready to show the world why they are men. At least most of them, thought Castiel. I will see these boys to battle and I will see them again in heaven.