The Cute Couple Factor

Start from the beginning

Her heart fluttered, the butterflies in her stomach kicking up a storm. Apparently, this challenge was going to be harder than she thought.

Beside them, Jiyoung and Yerim were cooing at every little move, at every little touch.

"You too are so sweet together," Yerim said, a permanent smile lighting up her face.

"Don't embarrass them," Jiyoung said gruffly, but he too was grinning. The two of them were having a field day.

Yerim poked him. "I'm a mother, it's my job."

Lisa smiled, her fingers still wrapped tight around Jennie's, swinging their hands back and forth. "I'm just lucky to have her."

That was an opening if Jennie had ever saw one. "No," she said, "I'm lucky to have you."

A glint flashed in Lisa's eyes. "No," she said, her smile twisting, "I'm lucky to have you."

"I think you'll find," she said, slinging her arm over Lisa's shoulder, "that I'm luckier."

"I'm luckiest!"

"I'm luckiest plus one!"

"I'm luckiest plus infinity!"

Jiyoung and Yerim roared with laughter.

"Now, now," Jiyoung said, his massive shoulders shaking. "No need to fight."

Jennie grinned, and snuggled into Lisa's shoulder. Her heart was thumping, and she was smiling so much that her cheeks hurt. Right here, right now, back on the city where she grew up, in Lisa's arms, was the happiest she'd ever felt. And if the reminder that this wasn't real, and in a couple of weeks it'd all be over came up in her brain, well, she pushed it away and pretended the thought didn't exist. All that mattered to her was the present, and in the present, Lisa's fingers were gliding over hers, her head lolling over her shoulder, her hair tickling her skin.

She was grounded a little, however, when they arrived at the pool. They found a set of deckchairs close to the pool edge, tossed their towels over them and settled down. Almost as soon as they'd sat down, Lisa had whipped off her shirt and shorts, revealing a small, black bikini.

Jennie's mouth went dry, and immediately she had to snap her eyes forward to stop them from roaming across her bare skin.

Boundaries, she reminded herself. She's your friend. Not your girlfriend. No matter what your parents think.

She sat awkwardly on her deckchair, forcing herself to look firmly towards the pool. She kept her fingers locked together on her stomach, her whole body frozen as she tried to process this new development that once again, she really should have been prepared for.

Lisa did not seem to share her qualms, however; no sooner had they sat down was she happily rubbing her skin with sun block, humming happily to herself.

"Do my back?"

"W-what?" Jennie gulped, broken out of her reverie.

She allowed herself to look over at her. She was holding the sun cream bottle out to her expectantly.

"Do my back?" she repeated. "I can't reach and I don't wanna get burned."

Her parents were watching from the side, peeking over their sunglasses at the two of them. Jennie still felt like she couldn't move, eyes fixed on the bottle as if it would jump out and bite her. Lisa was still looking at her, eyebrows raised quizzically.

"Sure," Jennie squeaked, her voice much higher in pitch than usual. She swallowed, trying to make herself sound more normal. "I can do that."

Lisa flipped over onto her stomach, and Jennie, heart thumping hard, forced her hands to move, spraying the cream onto Lisa's back and rubbing it into the skin. She worked methodically, trying her best to do a good job and not thinking about the implications.