001. equals reject

one. equals reject

KATE SUMMERS ALMOST FELL ASLEEP HER FIRST DAY OF LAW SCHOOL

KATE SUMMERS ALMOST FELL ASLEEP HER FIRST DAY OF LAW SCHOOL. In her defense, the class was the Contracts class, which is where they taught them how to redact and analyze contracts, and that couldn't be exciting.

Besides, she didn't have a good night either. Her roommate kept talking over the phone with her lame boyfriend, clearly not smart as her, who was studying in Georgia state or something like that, while she was in Columbia Law.

Columbia Law.

Those two words kept tormenting Kate in a disturbing way. She was there because of an scholarship, and there she was, wasting the money she got from a high praised award while sleeping in top of her laptop bag at the back row, wasting the free education she'd had fought for.

Yet again... her roommate didn't know how to whisper.

That's when she got hit on the back with a cane.

She didn't know it was a white cane designed for blind people in order to scan their surroundings for obstacles. She didn't immediately assume she had been hit by one in the head as she was being hit in the head.

"Ouch," she said as she immediately woke up from her nap, looking to her side just to see a guy her age sitting right next to her, wearing squared sunglasses

"Sorry," he said as she rubbed the place on her head he had hit her. "I was calling you, yet you didn't reply. I tried hitting the table, I probably hit— Does your hand hurt?"

"My hand? You hit me on the head," she replied, noticing that people were leaving the auditorium. That was her clue to pack up her stuff and beg some idiot trust fund guy for his notes.

The guy frowned. "Your head? Were you sleeping?"

She put her books inside her bag, quickly, while standing up. She didn't have time for any of this.

"Uhm..." the guy called her as he stood up from his chair as well, closing up her exit path. One of Kate's crucial rules...

Always have an exit strategy.

"Could you help me out?" He asked her with a kind smile. She blew her hair off her face, some of the wind hitting him, making him flinch for a split second before regaining that nice smirk. "I have Civil Procedure next and, well, do you know where that would be?"

"Did you swallow a butler?" She asked him as she put the strap of her bag over her shoulder.

"What?"

"You talk way too formal. Calm down, I'm not evaluating your presence in a courtroom. I barely even fit in here myself," she mumbled the last. "Civil Procedure? Follow me."

She began walking and he quickly stopped her by grabbing her arm, confusing the girl.

"Wha—"

"It's the only way I can follow you. I can't..." He pointed at his sunglasses with the hand in which he was holding the white cane.