Chapter 3: We Need Your Help

TW: Mentions of war and violent death

-

-

{☁︎}

575 BC - Babylon

Various Deviants stampede through the village, creating damage as they topple over everything in their paths. People scream as they run away in fear. One Deviant charges at a small family, who wails as they try to get away. Serina bolts toward the creature from behind and leaps onto its back, digging her Jian into the skin and sliding down, slicing the Deviant's back as she goes down. It screeches out in pain and collapses onto its side, blood oozing from the long gash on its back. The family looks at the dead Deviant before gazing at Serina with their mouths agape. "You're okay now. Get to safety," she tells them in Babylonian.

The family fastly nods their heads and begins to turn around to run off. "Thank you," the father responds, his voice full of appreciation. They zoom away and Serina watches them with a small grin before running off to take down more Deviants. She sees one up ahead chasing after a group of humans. She halts and sucks in a breath, bending forward as she releases a powerful scream. The Deviant flies back and crashes into the building behind it, dead before it hits the ground due to the high-intensity sound waves.

"Hey, I had that one!" Kingo shrieks, throwing his hands up.

"Maybe, but I got it first," Serina teases, shrugging. She points to the Deviant that Thena is fighting a few feet away from them. "You can have that one." As soon as she says that, Thena chops its head off. "Oh. Just kidding," she remarks.

Kingo sighs. "Hey, that one was mine!" he shouts at Thena. "Oh, never mind," he adds, bringing his arm up and aiming his fingers at another fast-approaching Deviant. I'll just let him have this one, I don't want to steal his thunder, Serina thinks as she watches him shoot the monster. Ikaris and Makkari take down a Deviant that was about to attack a little girl. Now there's just one left, which happens to be the biggest one of all.

It zooms toward the Ishtar Gate, which Gilgamesh is guarding as people run through the doors. Once the last few people make it in, the giant doors close. The Deviant charges at Gilgamesh, who strikes it with a forceful punch, making it crash against the closed gate. It recovers and attacks Gilgamesh, sending him flying into the air. Serina races to the scene just as Ikaris flies over above her and Makkari speeds in and catches Gilgamesh. Ikaris blasts laser beams at the Deviant and Serina lets out a sonic scream once she's close enough, making it fall to the ground with a hard thud.