ONE

CHAPTER ONE:
"I honestly thought you were dead"

CHAPTER ONE: "I honestly thought you were dead"

AVERY SPENCER DIED A LONG TIME AGO. Almost three years ago, Avery had died... At least it felt like he did.

After ending the gang that kept tormenting him to own up to what his parents had done, Avery was forced to create a new life for himself. Everything he once knew was left behind as he moved as far as he could away from the gangs that caused his parents' lives to end early.

             Hearing stories about the big boss who pulled the strings behind the scenes had made Avery believe it was right to ditch everything he knew. Living a life of peace was better then ending it early. Even if that meant his best friend was loneliness.

Since hiring the Ronin to kill the men tormenting his family, Avery had found it was easier only having trust in himself. Those higher up in the group his parents had been apart of would have people everywhere, and that thought alone caused him enough anxiety. Having a friend who potentially could be manipulating him for a revenge was a situation he hoped to never experience. So overall, as previously stated, it was better only trusting himself.

           Avery just couldn't have friends. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't change his mindset. Additionally, people didn't get along with him, and those who did ended up being untrustworthy and Avery would ghost them the next day. After being chased and hunted by gangs who had connections to his parents, he found that distancing himself from others entirely was the better solution.

            So, why in the hell would the landline phone be ringing at one in the afternoon?

            Avery's head shot up, heart beginning to pump at three times its normal rate. Nervously, he began to crack his fingers, watching the landline ring loudly through his small apartment. He focused on maintaining a steady breath as the phone stopped ringing, drowning him in the familiar sound of silence.

             He exhaled shakily, turning back to the novel placed on his lap. He peeled back the right page and flicked it over to reveal the next chapter. His head rested on his open palm as he went back to reading in the dark room, nothing but the dim lamp next to him shinning a light.

               But the serenity was shattered as the phone rang again. The startling sound made the twenty two year old sit up abruptly, the book falling from his lap as he went to instinctively grab the pistol positioned beneath the couch cushions. He paused, staring silently at the phone again.

It continued like that for a few minutes. Avery just staring at the phone as it rung, waiting for it to finish only for it to start again seconds later. After the fifth time, Avery forced himself out of his seat and to the landline.

                 He stood over the phone, shaky hand reached out to pick it up. With shallow breaths, Avery held the phone to his ear, staring with wide eyes at the torn wallpaper across from him.