Chapter 3 - Training with Mirio Togata

Hey, y'all! Sorry, this isn't the action-packed chapter I promised in my last update! This chapter ended up being longer than anticipated. I decided to incorporate some background on the main character and a review of Mirio's quirk as well, so I decided to split it. On the bright side, you get an extra chapter earlier! Enjoy!

P.S. N/N will stand for nickname for this episode and future ones.

I have seen my best friend naked too many times in my life. Honestly, I think just once is too many.

Mirio's quirk is permeation which means he can move through walls, floors, and I would imagine ceilings if he tried hard enough. This is both a blessing and a curse due to the difficult nature of controlling his quirk. He can't breathe, hear, see, taste, and or smell while he is using his quirk full body. He constantly put himself through rigorous training to adapt and it was never easy for him.

Mirio had a tough childhood because of the nature of his quirk. He has made leaps and bounds since kindergarten. Even his early middle school years yielded many struggles. He had to work extremely hard to get where he is today. Now, he is a force to be reckoned with even without his quirk. Fortunately, the same goes for me.

A lot of people have overestimated the power of my quirk in my lifetime. Many believe I got ridiculously lucky with my quirk and to some extent, they are correct. I can wish for just about anything, minus a few of the usual rules regarding wish-making. It is a fantastic quirk, don't get me wrong. I will never be ungrateful towards it but it definitely has its flaws.

Here's an example. I could supposedly always wish for the best quirk to battle a particular villain, but there is no guarantee I would know how to utilize it properly. How do I fix this? I could use two wishes: one to obtain the ability and one to master it for the day. That leaves me with a single wish. That is a scary thought because when you have the power to wish, you are also given the responsibility to make sure nothing goes wrong. I could end up in a scenario where I waste a wish on something useless when I could have stopped something bad from happening later on. This means I can not solely depend on my quirk. So, I have participated in the same physical training as Mirio to prepare myself the best I can. To be an effective hero, I need to be a force to reckon with even without the assistance of my quirk.

And then, beyond just physical strength, I am always practicing with a variety of quirks. I have a specific set of quirks I chose to master to the best of my ability so that I did not have to rely on a wish to utilize them properly. It became a double-edged sword because I am good with a fair few quirks at the expense of never being truly great with any one of them.

Today, Mirio and I are training together for the first time in a while. In the time leading up to the start of school, we both got busy and had trained on our own time. This is why I'm nervous. For all I know, he has surpassed me in strength. For a long time, we have been a fairly even match. I could crush him in sparring matches on Monday and he would destroy me on Tuesday. Yet, for once in my life, I have no idea what to expect from Mirio and I am terrified.

This morning, I was forced to use a wish to keep my anxiety at bay for the day. This happens fairly often, leaving me with only two wishes. Sure, I have tried anxiety meds but honestly none of them ever really worked for me. This also meant I had to put an even stronger emphasis on honing my body and mind. Without my wishes, I still have to be something and since I'm going to fight Mirio, I'm more anxious than ever.

Aside from that, the morning was normal. I ate breakfast with my moms and caught them up on what I was learning in my classes so far. Then, I stretched and prepped for my training with Mirio. Finally, I made my way to the recreational field near our neighborhood where we always trained. 

When I got there, I noticed there was someone else with Mirio. It was Amajiki.

"Morning guys! Did you come to train, Amajiki?" I asked.

"I-" Amajiki began to stutter.

"Morning N/N! Nah, he just came to watch. I might have kept hyping it up when I was telling him about it and he was curious." he replied.

Greeeaaat, an audience. At least I don't have to worry about the anxiety-inducing effects of it thanks to my wish from this morning. 

"Cool! It does tend to be an epic event whenever Mirio and I spar. We usually do our basic exercises first to start off the day though. Sure you don't want to join us for those?" I asked.

"Well, I guess... if you guys are okay with it," he murmured. 

"Of course we are buddy! Get on in here!" Mirio exclaimed.

And with that, we began our usual exercises. We performed all of our usual cardio and muscular exercises, Mirio did a few warm ups with his quirk, and then, it was time to spar.

A/N

Aaaaah! Aren't y'all hyped?! Actually, I'm probably way more hyper about this than you all lol. I hope you are enjoying the series! Please, don't forget to like the episodes so I know you are enjoying them. Whenever I see someone liked a chapter or added the series to their library, it makes me so happy. It's so great to know that writing this is worth it. Thank you so much and I will see you all for the next chapter!

P.S. Episodes will not be posted faster than at least a weekly basis. This next episode might take longer because it is a difficult one to write. I will keep posting small bonus posts when I can though, so I hope you look forward to them!