Chapter 3

A/N: So I realized I completely forgot to mention what era this story is actually in! While I understand that the original Outsiders book and movie is actually set in the 60's and i am aware the movie was simply made in the 80's not set in it, this book is placed during the early 70's to late 80's, whatever era you would like to imagine it in of the two as they are a little similar. 

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ 

One can only guess how it feels to be the "perfect"  sibling. The one who never does any wrong. Some would even call  Rose the "Golden child." If only they knew how far she really was from it and how much pressure it was to have those titles resting on your shoulders. The more it builds, the closer you come to snapping. Which is why  Rose didn't tell her family what her real endeavors were, they thought she had late night dance practice and since they were working late and Pony had late track practice that would run after the time Rose claimed her practice was until, nobody questioned it. 

Rose did have dance practice, but it had been early morning practice. She told them she had it at both times and because they didn't believe their "sweet innocent sister" could ever do any wrong and because they were airheads, they bought it. Where was she really at? The drive in getting ready to watch a movie with Jack. She did dress nice but she changed in the bathroom after school, into a dress her mother would have loved on her. If her mother had been alive she would have done her hair and took her dress shopping and gave her tips. And no her mother didn't  mind what she wore, she didn't dress code her daughter but she did warn her and teach her to fight for herself. 

Currently Rose sat in the passenger side of a nice black 1972 Chevrolet Impala. She wore a loose red dress with spaghetti straps that stopped just above her knees, along with it were some gently used shiny red 4 inch heels that were her mothers, and the icing on the cake was a thin leather jacket that was made for style rather then warmth. Her hair was in the usual ringlet curls, she looked beautiful in the moonlight more so then normal. 

"Rosie are you sure your brothers aren't gonna be worried?" Jack asked looking concerned. He wore a simple black and white flannel shirt with a black t shirt underneath, blue jeans and black converse shoes. Converse were usually a greaser style but he didn't care.  His blonde hair was just a mess but Rose preferred it that way rather then when he slicked it back with gel. Not grease like her brother but still. . . it was gross. 

"I'm sure. They won' suspect a thing, I told them I had late dance practice and because all three of them get home late they think I just got food at the drive thru for dinner and then went home and went to bed after homework. You know. . . the usual golden child stuff. They ain't expecting a thing love." She smiled her usual elegant smile. 

That's when Jack smiled and kissed her graceful lips with a smile. "Well then, lets enjoy this while we can." And with that, the two kids started doing what normal kids do at a drive in. After all, nobody goes to actually watch the movie unless their old people or Rose's third oldest brother Pony, most go to make out and that's what they were there for. "Hey. . . remember what you promised?" He asked sweetly, his version of asking permission. This time when his hand traveled Rose gave her consent and didn't stop him. 

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・   

Of course when Rose got home that night she had been sure to change  back into her school clothes and shove the nice ones into her backpack. However, she was not expecting her brothers to be awake. It was 12:00am, why were they awake? They all got home at 10 at best and usually they were asleep when she snuck around. It was just her luck that she had forgotten to move the latter in front of her window that morning before walking to school. She had only told a half lie, had they caught on? Her heart was racing and she was internally freaking out. This was it, she was caught red handed. As long as they don't find out what she had done that night. 

"Rosalie May Curtis." Darrel stood up as soon as he saw her, arms crossed. He looked absolutely pissed as he held up a wallet, Jack's wallet. Her heart beat got faster just as his face softened  a twinge but he still looked mad. "I'm not mad about you having a boyfriend, don't deny it because I saw the ID . You know damn well I was a player in high school, so one boyfriend doesn't bother me. However, I am mad about you deliberately sneaking him into this house without my permission. And I checked your room for you so that is why we're up. Where the hell were you?" 

"I told you. . . I-I was at dance practice. . . remember?" She stuttered and hoped she sounded convincing but her eldest brothers face didn't look  convinced. She glanced at Soda for help but he just shook his head, he looked disappointed. She then glanced at Pony and his face was unreadable however he also shook his head. She was on her own. 

"Really? Because it's twelve in the morning so you definitely went somewhere after dance class even if you did go there first. And I see the red fabric in your backpack so. . .I will ask one more time. Where. were. you?"  He had a dangerous tone in his voice that scared Rose. He was on the verge of yelling, the verge of exploding. She couldn't hide it anymore so she answered calmly. 

"I was at the drive in. . . with Jack. I promise we didn't do anything! Just watched the movie!" She made sure her voice didn't sound guilty. She noticed as her brother put his fingers to his temples and looked even more pissed at her. She wasn't just scared, no she suddenly felt more defensive as she realized his reaction wasn't even fair. Her brother was a huge player and was known around town for it as well, and then when he finally had a good relationship with a girl who actually loved him he screwed it up like he screwed up lots of things in high school. He had had good enough grades to stay in football but he was always to busy messing around, going to parties and breaking girls hearts. Rose got caught sneaking out once and he was acting like it was the end of the world.

"Go to your room, go to bed. Get comfortable in the house because aside from dance and school this is where your staying for the next month. No more walking home, I cant trust you." He stated as calmly as possible and this time Soda jumped to her defense. All three younger siblings knew he was being a hypocrite. 

"Now  hold on Dar! That isn't fair! You did a lot worse in high school and mom and dad were never that harsh with you! They still let you drive to and from school and they didn't ground you for no month!" He knew Rose was a girl but he also knew his parents would never punish her that way. They would never take away too much of her freedom nor did they take too much away from the rest of them. 

"I said what I said Pepsi, I understand mom and dad would have been easier on her. And maybe that's why I made the mistakes I did, because mom and dad were too easy on us all. She needs to learn." That's when Rose exploded. The punishment she could take but she did not like what he said about their parents because their parents had been amazing people. 

"You know what! Screw you Darrel! You know damn well you're being a hypocrite! You act like every little thing is gonna break me because I'm a girl but I AM NOT GLASS!! This is not fair and it was not fair to blame your dumbass mistakes on mom and dad because you know full well you tried their patience every fucking night! You  went to those parties with your buddies and YOU SCREWED UP! I don't blame Catalina for leaving when she did because your an asshole! I didn't blame her then when I was five and I don't blame her now! I HATE YOU!" With that Rose ran upstairs and locked her bedroom door, sliding down her door and crying into her arms. 

She didn't mean to explode but she couldn't help but realize that her brother may have been right but at the same time she knew this would have been different if only her parents were alive. . . if they were here things wouldn't be like this. Rose wouldn't be realizing just how short life was. She had left her brothers stunned, and she sat like that for the rest of the night crying until eventually she fell asleep. 

・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・

Part of  this idea for this chapter came from one of my wonderful readers! I will mention them in the comments! They had the idea to continue into Rose and Jack a little more! I wrote it very differently then they asked though! I  honestly thought it was okay written maybe a little bad but I really wanted to get a chapter out as soon as possible! I hope you all enjoyed it regardless and comment what you think will/should happen next! Have an awesome day and stay gold!