XVII. The Wanderer, The Woods, And The Wardobe

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" I call up to the rider, my voice weak from not talking all day.

"You look like you're a long way from home, young lady!" The rider shouts at me, gesturing to my clothes.

I furrow my eyebrows and get a good look at him. He's old, with a halo of white hair alighting his face. Round glasses sit on the bridge of his nose, and he wears a navy blue coat.

"Uh...yeah, something like that!" I call back, realizing what he meant. My clothes are probably nothing like what people where in this world. I'm out of place.

"Do you need a ride?" He asks, and my heart rate picks up. This is perfect.

"Yes, actually, I do!" I pull myself into the back of the carriage and sit next to the man, smiling at him. "Do you know where Professor Digory's house is? I need to go there."

He shifts and gives me a wary look, "You need to go to Professor Digory's house?"

"Yes, you know him?" I give him a questioning look as he snaps the reigns, the horses beginning to pull us.

"Well, I should hope so!" He chuckles, and I give him another confused glance. He frowns, "Young lady, I am him."

EDMUND'S POV

It's been a week. Well, not for Y/N. Time passes differently here than it does back home, so for her maybe it's only been a day, maybe even a minute.

Everyone is being sent out in parties search the wood, in fact that's where I am now. Looking high and low, between each valley and behind each tree. Even though I know we will never find her.

It was hard, giving her that push, but I knew I had to. The last thing I wanted was for her to stay because of me, because I kissed her, she needed to get out of here. And as much as I miss her, I'm glad I did it.

Caspian is in the worst state of all of us, keeps himself locked up in his room when we're at the palace, and doesn't talk to anyone when we're out looking.

"I think it's time we turn around!" Peter calls from the front of the group, "It's getting dark!"

I sigh and pull on the reigns of my horse, directing her back to the palace. I shiver in my coat, even feel a few snowflakes land on my nose.

I never got to spend Christmas with her, I realize, my stomach twisting. I feel the all-too-familiar tears spring up in my eyes but force them away, something I've gotten scarily good at over the week. She's the first girl I ever loved, and I never got a chance to really tell her.

Stop feeling so bad for yourself, think of how Caspian feels. Well, he does deserve it. J can't even look at him anymore without wanting to knock his teeth in. But Y/N wouldn't have wanted me to do that, I know, so I refrain.

We return to the castle and I get into my empty bed again, wrapping the blankets extra tight so it will be harder to notice her absence.

As much as I pretend I don't, I really, really want her back.

-

I sit across from the professor. He's at his desk and I'm in a humongous leather chair, both of us drinking piping-hot tea. I tell him everything, my childhood, Caspian, the marriage, the war, the escape, Edmund. All of it. He lets me talk for as long as I need to, taking it all in with a thoughtful nod.

"I need to use your wardrobe, Digory. I have to go back. I can fix things between Caspian and I—I'll be fine. And I can be with Edmund." I sound like I'm pleading with him, even though he hasn't once told me I can't use it.

He sips his tea, "The wardrobe will only work if you're meant to go back." He says gravely.

I frown. What if I'm not meant to go back? What if this is where I'll be stuck forever? You would move on, I tell myself, you would find someone else and get on with your life.

But I would never meet someone else that would help me build a portal to escape into a new world, would I? Not many people like that exist. I don't even think that Peter, the perfect brother, would do that for me.

"I..." I confirm something with myself then, something I have been thinking about all day, "I love him. I need to go back. I'm meant to, I know it."

He smiles sadly, "I'll show you to the wardrobe. And if—for some reason—you can't go through, you can live here with me. I need company, and I'll have someone to exchange Narnian stories with."

I smile at the old man, "Good idea."

"Do you have a map with you? Of Narnia?" He asks.

I pull the book out and flutter the pages open until the map falls onto the desk in front of me, "Yes, right here. You want it?"

"No, thank you. But you'll need it to navigate your way back to the palace." He unfolds the map and spreads it out before me, pointing at a place called The Lantern Waste. "This is where you'll come out, so it's a rather long journey."

Um, yeah. I'll basically have to trek across the entire country.

"If I were you, I'd find a horse or a unicorn. It'll make the trip much shorter." Of course I knew that, but I appreciate the sentiment.

"Thank you." I say genuinely, "Thank you so much."

"Are you ready to see the wardrobe now? Or do you want to stay a night and leave in the morning?"

I think about it for a second before answering him, "Now. I want to leave now."

The professor guides my down hallway after hallway before coming to a dark wood door. He gestures for me to open it and I do, revealing a room completely empty besides the sheet-covered mound against the back wall.

I walk forward and pull the sheet off, revealing a tall wardrobe the color of chocolate.

"Thank you again professor, for everything. You have no idea what this means to me."

"Good luck, Y/N. And don't forget to enjoy the journey." He smiles at me sadly, like he'll miss my presence even though I've only been with him the better part of the day. "Now go on, walk inside!"

And so, I do.