07. The Gildergreen

The cover is taken from Nexusmods.com /K ENB Pure Light Gildergreen/ Uploaded by PandoraTremere

*****

                When they were walking down the street, a woman in a dark hood approached. She stopped before them, revealing her face, then smiled. Gaihla noticed the unnatural glow of her eyes.

"Serana! It's been a while. How have you been?" Yngvar greeted.

The beautiful woman smiled. "Couldn't have been better." She instantly noticed Gaihla and gasped in awe. "Why didn't you ever tell me that you have a daughter?"

Yngvar sighed and chuckled. "Serana, I've never been with a woman so how is it possible for me to have a daughter?" he asked jokingly. "What brings you here anyway?"

"I was traveling and happened to pass the hold. So, I decided to pay a visit, in case the busy Dragonborn, thanes of several holds, is present." She answered with a smile.

"Come, let's talk inside the house."

As they shared tiding, Gaihla went straight to her room. After her encounter with Alduin and Yngvar, she felt more tired than usual.

But as soon as she fell asleep, she was awakened by the voices. Gaihla shook her head and covered her ears. That was when she accidentally heard the conversation downstair between Ynvar and Serana.

There was a burst of faint laughter then he spoke, "Why do you keep on saying she was my daughter? Gaihla is from Cyrodill. I met her this month and we barely knew each other."

"Cut it out, Yngvar." Her feminine voice rang. "We vampires could sense the blood well." Then carefully she added, "When you tried to save me by letting me suck your blood, I still remember how it tasted. If you let me just take a drop of her blood, I could prove it. She is tied to you by blood."

Yngvar went silent. So, Serana continued, "Besides, you don't need a vampire to tell. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks she was your daughter. You guys just...I don't know, same? He got your eyes. Or why don't you ask your werewolves friend in Jorrvaskr. I am sure they sense the same scent from you and her."

Gaihla gulped. Had she been just practicing among werewolves? But who? And now she got a vampire in the house. She was amazed by Yngvar's capability to make friends with such unique creatures. For her, even just befriending a human was quite challenging.

"I am sure I have never been with any women until now." Still, he persisted.

"Oh really. But you once told me you didn't remember your past."

Gaihla curled up on her bed. She didn't mean to be nosy but it's difficult to shut the world up with her current condition.

*****

Not so long after the 'daughter' topic, Serana excused herself for she wanted to resume her journey at midnight. He took her to the front door, bid her goodbye, and retreated to his seat by the hearth fire.

From his even breath and unmoving pose, it was easy to tell that Yngvar was deep in thought. This made Gaihla wonder what was on in his head; was he thinking about the same topic? or was he still considering her to fight the dragon?

All of the curious thoughts were suddenly put to a halt. She immediately closed her eyes when she heard Yngvar walking to her room. As a guest under his generosity, it would be considered extremely rude to eavesdrop on someone's conversation—particularly the owner of the house. So she did her best to pretend to sleep.