ch.9 - SOAKED

─────────────
'SOAKED'
──────────────

Nine minutes later

"Bees don't fly in the rain, so why should I?" Mina asked, arms wrapped around herself as a sudden cold breeze drew shivers down her skin. She found herself leaning closer to Harry as they walked in some effort to gain warmth.

"Because you're not a bee?" He laughed, and their arms brushed; shoes squelching in the mud as they walked onto the pitch. "Besides, it's not even raining anymore!" Harry held his hands out for a moment and showed her his dry palms.

"Yeah, but I feel like the rain before was just the start," Mina eyed the dark, overcast sky warily. They reached the small broom shed, and as usual, Harry went in to find her broom. "Those clouds look like they'll bucket down any second."

"You're just a pessimist," his voice echoed from inside, and after a moment of rummaging, found her broom. Harry walked out and handed it to her, and the two made their way to the centre of the pitch—albeit begrudgingly for Mina, who would much rather curl up with her new book in the comfy Hufflepuff common room than be out here in the cold.

"Okay, so last time you hovered and that was it, but this time, we're gonna try to get you to fly around a little bit, yeah?"

She nodded, squinting as the wind blew into her eyes, and Harry stepped in front of her so his chest acted as a shield from it. The gusts ruffled his hair.

"Cool, so mount your broom like last time," he said, and she did. Harry stepped closer and adjusted her hands a little from where they rested on the handle. "Yeah, like that. When I say go, kick off from the ground hard, and really try to balance—look forward, not down, and keep your weight lifting upward if that makes sense. With me so far?"

"...I think so," Mina said, concentrating on his words, and he smiled. Small, icy drops of rain slowly started to fall onto her cheeks.

"You don't have to go super high up just yet if you don't want to," he assured her, knowing she was disguising the nervousness she felt. More raindrops hit their skin. "Just try to stay up longer than last time, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, hold on tight...go!"

Mina kicked off from the ground just as the rain started to pour harder and the clouds became a darker greyscale.