His Promise

Okay, this is it.

Link took a deep breath as he fidgeted with the daisy in his fingers. This was the day that changed everything. Was he ready? He didn't feel ready. Did he have everything he needed? Flower? Check. Wallet? Check. Trusty green cap? Check. And...

His heart started beating twice as fast as he frantically searched his person. Finally, his hand landed on a small box tucked carefully into a corner of his adventure pouch. Link sighed in relief — he hadn't lost it. Good, so he was ready.

But he still didn't feel ready. He never would. Why? How is this time any different from the countless times before?

Because this time changes everything, a pesky voice in the back of his mind reminded him. If you mess this up, it's all over.

Link ran his hand through his blond hair, fussing over the stray strands that fell in his face. He straightened his green cap and tightened the belt around his tunic. Everything had to go perfectly. He couldn't afford even one thing going wrong tonight; it simply wasn't an option.

"What do you think?" he asked his most loyal friend and companion. Epona responded with a snort and a shake of her majestic mane before nudging him toward the door he had been awkwardly loitering in front of. "Alright, alright, I'm going, calm down." With one final hand through his hair and another deep breath, at last, he knocked.

Two seconds lasted two decades, and each one passing weighed heavily on him. A fair comparison might be trying to give a Goron a piggyback ride, Link thought to himself — suffocating. When the door opened, his lips parted, though they had no intention of forming words. His brain turned to jelly as he was reduced to a gaping idiot as he couldn't help but stare at the sight that greeted him.

She was a goddess. Well, technically she wasn't, but she sure looked like one. Her dress was long and flowing with elaborate royal purple designs embroidered on the pink sleeves. The neckline was broad, displaying her well-defined collarbones and highlighting the glistening gold necklace that lay comfortably there. It was all certainly a shocking departure from her normal work clothes. Her beautiful red hair, set ablaze by the late afternoon light, was done half up in a braided crown — the first time Link had ever seen it in any form other than free-falling — while the rest was curled at the ends.

But by far the most enchanting part of her was her face: soft, sweet, and gentle yet strong, proud, and brazen all the same. The oceanic blue of her eyes was like the melody of a siren that captivated him so, and even the minuscule freckles she didn't like anyone knowing about only added harmony to the song.

"Oh, don't give me that look," Malon scolded him teasingly, her little chuckle heart-stoppingly adorable. "You're the one who gave me this dress in the first place." Finally, his throat loosened enough to snap him out of his stupor.

"Yeah, but I wasn't sure you would actually ever wear it," Link admitted, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly with his hand.

"Hey, just because I work at a ranch doesn't mean I can't dress nice!" she deflected, planting a sassy hand on her hip.

"Yeah, no, I didn't mean — I mean, you look beautiful, I was just saying..."

There was that heaven-sent laugh again. Since when did the goddesses ever feel like blessing him this much?

"Relax, partner, I'm messing with you." She pecked his cheek affectionately. "Now, are we going somewhere tonight or no?"

"Yeah, we are." Link smirked, tucking the daisy he'd picked for her into her crown of braided hair. Malon caught her reflection in the window of her home and smiled — a smile that could melt away an entire tundra with its sunny warmth. "We'd better let your dad know we're off, though."