Chapter One

1 Day Before We Were Taken.

I woke up with a plan... And the sun in my eyes. Vik and I would start work on a farm, something that could feed us for days. A watermelon farm, preferably. It was a sweet fruit that savored hunger and thirst, so what could go wrong? Nothing could, exactly. I pulled myself out of bed and tugged the gingerbread-looking mask over my face. It was silly, but I enjoyed it. It gave me a sense of simplicity, purity. After all the battles and wars I had witnessed while in this war-filled world, all the bloodshed and horror, the deaths.. Purity was something I clung onto like a child with candy. I didn't want to hide my face like Dream, that disgusting bastard responsible for all problems.. I call him a bastard because that's the best word I can use to describe him. But I don't like thinking about him.

I climbed out of my bed and shuffled to a chest , pulling out a hoe, some materials, and of course the seeds for watermelon. Vik hadn't woken up, or I hadn't seen him, but I figured it was better to start early and then allow him to help me later.

Out I marched into the brisk morning, dew soaking my boats as I stepped through the morning grass. I inhaled the cool air. The fresh air of morning, another sense of purity. This kind fills your lungs and makes you feel it through your veins.

So, I began on the farm.

God, I wish I'd know about this before. I wish he'd told me.. No, No I don't.. But.. Why us?

"Lazar!".. A voice called out my name. Oh, Vik! I turned over and blinked. "Vik! How long have you been up for?".. Well, he had just dashed in from the woods. He gripped some logs in his arms. "Long enough." He dropped the wood. "You already finished the farm, eh? Sorry I wasn't here to help, I was getting supplies, but you seemed to have managed fine on your own." I nodded, "It's fine, as long as the work is done that's all that matters. Don't worry about the wood, we can use it for another project!!"

No we wouldn't. What other project? We're trapped.

Vik nodded in reply to my statement, smiling. "Hey, I'll go put these in our supply chest and then I can go get some food cooking in the furnace. Let's plan something new to build together, my friend."

I nodded, "Sure, just let me finish up out here." Vik nodded and made his way into our shared house. I opened the chest I had placed beside the farm, placing my remaining supplies inside before padding inside. 

As the day continued, we went on simply.. We chatted, drew out blueprints, shared some final words before we slipped off to sleep, the next day would hold something unimaginably terrifying.

Hours before we were taken.

I walked out to another day, today felt off.. I had a bad feeling.. Something was going to happen. Sighing, I decided I was just paranoid and made my way out of bed to check on my farm. I harvested some watermelon, cutting it into pieces, before bringing it inside. "Vik! Hey! I got some watermelon, wanna try a slice?"

Padding out from his bedroom, Vik nodded and eagerly grabbed a slice and bit into it, I did as well. Delicious! Quenching hunger and thirst. Such a useful fruit!

We haven't tasted real food in days. Why Us? Why Us?

I shuffled out , that sick feeling of something bad about to happen still in my stomach. I looked over towards Vik and surfaced the courage to ask.. "Hey, do you feel.. A bad vibe today, mate?". Vik gave a blink,  "Well, sort of. I'm sure it's nothing, though. Maybe we're just having an off day, or a storm is coming?"

"Yeah, Probably.

No. It was much more. Why didn't we trust ourselves? Why didn't we hide away? Why Us?

5 Minutes Before We Were Taken.

A thunder of running footsteps.

"What's that noise?" Vik asked, peering around. "It's probably just a herd of horses, or someone running around. They'll ignore us like usual if it is, don't worry."

3 Minutes Before We Were Taken.

"There they are, right where we expected them to be."

"Dream? What the hell do you want?!" I barked as that green.. That green bastard approached! Punz was near him. "We need you and Vik for a plan, give in easily and.. Well, it's gonna hurt either way in the end.

1 Minute Before We Were Taken.

"A dead end. You're through."

We had through the woods for what seemed like hours, it was only minutes before we were pressed against a cold stone wall.. Dream brandished his axe again.. And then it all went black.

Why Us?