Chapter 14 - Osiris

En başından başla

"I've been told you're a fan of pork buns. So I've taken the liberty of getting some from China for you."

 I coughed.

"You're serious?" 

"As a heart attack." He chuckled. "Come-on, let's sit."

Osiris went off and ordered Caseys meal then came back with a beer. Him and Nick sat across from us in the booth. Then, he pulled out a bag and took out a small white cardboard container. It had German words written over it. Then he grabbed a small plastic bottle of milk that also had German words on it. 

"Be grateful, spirits usually aren't too fond of being forced to make cookies." Osiris said.

"Apparently, even after beating him half back to death. He still refused." Nick said and opened up the box. 

Did this guy just say he beat up a ghost? For cookies and milk?

"I sense your confusion." Osiris chuckled. "I'll explain how we work soon enough. You'll definitely be able to help your spirit friend Molly too." 

I squinted my eyes and leaned forward. Aunt Boa doesn't know about Molly. He's definitely reading my emotions.

"Look, can you not read my emotions?" 

"Oh right, asf, it kind of just becomes second nature."

 He reached over and grabbed something else from his bag. Taking out a small oval wooden box. Something I'm used to seeing pork buns coming in. He rested it on the table Infront of me. 

"This is a mix of pork buns and soup dumplings. Boa told me you like those a lot too."

I nodded and stared at the box. This isn't what I expected at all. I looked over at Osiris. He had a soft smile on his face, his eyes were calm. I could tell he was really happy. Did he really miss me? Is this a trick? Some kind of trap? 

"Please, son, can you take off your mask? I'd like to see your face. All of it." He asked. 

I hesitated, what? Why would he want to see that? A shiver ran down my spine and my body trembled. For a moment, the table reminded me of my old desk. The fantasy bar atmosphere was replaced with the giggle and cries of kids. My body trembled and my heart started to pound against my chest. Then, that familiar warmth took over my hand again. I glanced at Casey and she gave me a very sympathetic look. Which got me to relax. 

I'm okay, I'm okay. This was the first time in a long time. I was self-conscious about showing my face, but why? Why would I care? I glanced up at Osiris and took a breath. I'm still a monster. I'm sure he'll only see it too. After all, he's a monster himself. I reached up and took my face mask off. 

"Right, don't stare now." I said.

I immediately went to open my box and the smell alone had my mouth watering. The box was split into two halves. The big plump pork buns to the left and the smaller more swirled buns on the right. Laying over them all was a ladle and chopsticks. I squeezed Casey's hand and moved my hand away. Grabbing the chopsticks adjacent to the ladle.

"I've seen worse." Nick said with a mouth full of cookies. 

I rolled my eyes.

"Since you've already read my feelings already. I'd imagine you know exactly what I want to know. So please, go ahead." 

I picked up the soup dumpling first and grabbed the ladle. Then poked a hole into the bun, letting some soup spill out onto the ladle. It was still steamy too. It was hard to make myself wait and not just scarf it down.