Joshua shakes his head. “Not at all. I thought the same, but that’s when I talked to Yui. Aincrad was based on us moving upward and climbing the castle to the top, right?”

“But this Aincrad remains incomplete, so ascending is somewhat impossible. Cardinal must be balancing this out with new challenges. So up is down this time, huh?”

“Yeah. There’s a bit more to it, but Shino says we should wait until we get there.”

“Show, don’t tell, right?”

“Mhm. But there’s one more thing. Our mysterious NPC has been sighted too. No new information on her either.”

“It’s possible we could find some clues if we explore the new area, too.”

“I’m seriously dying to find out if she’s just a basic quest NPC or one with a more pivotal role in things.”

“I guess we’ll find out, but I’m more concerned with looking for Tia. We last saw her on Aincrad, after all, so it’s possible she’s still out there, somewhere.”

“Think we’ll ever find her?”

“As long as we keep looking, our odds remain high. Josh, where’s our path down.”

“A climb down from the Reimanhills. We know the spot.”

“Great...and now that that’s out of the way,” Kazuto holds his drink up in the center of the group, his eyes connecting with Koharu, who had been silent the entire discussion. “I think we should give a little cheer for Koharu for surviving her first day of school in two years. You all should have seen the gazes she got from our classmates who recognized her instantly.”

Keiko nods. “That’s right. How did you explain how you’re alive?”

Koharu smiles. “That’s a girl’s secret.”

Kotone chuckles. “Sounds about right, it doesn’t matter anyway. What does matter is the wrong boy initiating this.” Kotone elbows Joshua, who winces and picks up his cup.

“Fine, fine… What Kazuto said. Cheers to you, Koharu Hanao.”

“Cheers!”

“Thank you,” Koharu says as she raises her drink and sets it down.

xxxxxxxxx

After school

“Well, this is where we part,” Asuna says as she steps in front of Joshua and Koharu. She reaches over and pokes Joshua on his shoulder. “Be on time, little boy. Two hours.”

Joshua frowns and crosses his arms. “What do you think I can do in two hours to be late… Wait, what do you think I’ll do in the next two hours?”

“Who knows?”

“I’m not… I’m just walking her home, jeez. I’m no deviant, I had two years… I’m done talking to you.” Joshua waves farewell to Asuna and walks ahead. Koharu lingers behind for a moment to laugh and wave goodbye to Asuna, then the other girl gives her a wink. Koharu blushes and catches up to Joshua, hearing him murmur something about Asuna’s lack of integrity.

“You and Asuna are still at each other’s throats. That may never change.”

“Hmph. She’s gotten quite beside herself since… I guess since we left the Underworld. Can’t really speak for the time we were there, but I have a feeling… Anyway, enjoy your first day?”