Chapter Twelve - Attack and Capture

The attack on Qingqiu by the Pareesi Triplet Dragons came 3 days after Xiao Bai arrived back in the Fox Cavern. Xiao Bai had been going over the Fox Realm documents absentmindedly while alternatively thinking about what to do for her Gugu who's been so depressed and wondering if Donghua was safe when Migu had come in looking frantic and harried.

"Your Highness, there's an attack in the Central Square. Three dragons have been spotted trampling through the market place. A lot of the merchants and people that were out and about have been injured." Migu said, a little breathlessly. One of their people had just run from the Central Square to the Fox Cavern to inform them of the danger and Migu had been the first person informed. He had quickly run in to look for Her Highness.

"Any fatalities?" Xiao Bai asked worriedly, feeling overwrought. She wondered if she can deal with three dragons by herself. She knew her Gugu was not in any position to defend Qingqiu today as she was still grappling with her changed circumstance. In any case, Xiao Bai would never let her face the dragons while she was blind and vulnerable. Fourth Uncle and Uncle Zhe Yan had just left and her father and grandfather had not come back yet so Xiao Bai knew that it was up to her to defend the Fox Realm.  No one expected an attack in Qingqiu.  Xiao Bai knew that they were woefully unprepared as a third of their guards were with the older Bais to help out the other Realms.  Those that were left were the just peacekeeping forces of the Fox Realm as the peaceful Realm rarely faces any disturbances from the outside so they have never really kept an army.  She can only hope that her martial arts training would be sufficient to defeat the dragons or at least hold them off until more help arrives. She steeled herself, clenching her hand as she mentally fortified her mind and forced herself not to panic.  She can do this.  She's going to the be the Queen soon. She had to do this.

"Not certain your Highness. Some of the guards are there right now but since its chaos everywhere, the messenger cannot give me any definitive answer as he ran here as soon as they attacked.  The only thing he could tell me was that the dragons were huge." Migu said.  He could  see Her Highness squaring her shoulders stubbornly.   He was worried for her knowing that even without any significant back ups, Her Highness would be heading for the Central Square immediately to do what she could.   She would never leave her people to deal with this themselves, not as long as she felt she could do something about it.   

"I'm going to the Central Square.  Please send a missive to my father and grandfather, they should be somewhere in the Ghost Realms.  I hope that they can get back soon.  Please send a note also to High God Mo Yuan. I know he's on the way here from the Northern Realms. He's coming to see Gugu so he should not be far. Also, remember, under no circumstance should you tell my Gugu what is happening. Please keep an eye on her.  Even with how she is now, you know she'll want to get involved. But she's not ready, I don't want her to get hurt.  I'll put a protective shield around her. Oh before I forget, Migu, please send a missive also to Steward Chonglin of Tai Chen Palace about what is happening here. He would know what to do. No, don't send a message to Tai Chen Palace."  Xiao Bai changed her mind at the last minute.  She didn't want to distract Donghua from what he was doing beside he was too far away.  She knew he might try to get to her as soon as possible.  However, by the time he can get to Qingqiu, High God Mo Yuan and her father and grandfather would have arrived (hopefully!).  Donghua would just worry for her unnecessarily.

Migu, I will try to lure the dragons to the forest.  If we disappear from the Square, that's where we will be." Migu nodded his understanding as Xiao Bai was giving him instructions.  He paused though at her unusual instruction to send a message to Tai Chen Palace instead of the Sky Kingdom and then with her change in mind.  Maybe she was just confused considering the situation.  In any case, he had a lot to do so he didn't dwell on it.