Chapter Seven - Cooking Dates

"And that's the final ingredient for the soybean paste sauce.  Just a dab would do."  Feng Jiu said as she handed a small pot of spice to Donghua to put into the sauce.  After mixing it in, Donghua poured the sauce on top of the fish that they had just finish frying.  He dipped his chopstick into the sauce so that he could taste it.  He had graduated from sweet and sour fish a few weeks ago and Feng Jiu had offered to teach him how to cook other dishes.  He smiled at the memory of how Feng Jiu had been appalled at how bad he was at cooking when he kept botching the sauce of the sweet and sour fish.  Unbeknownst to her, he had been deliberately sabotaging the sauce because he didn't want their lessons to be over loving the time he was spending with her, just the two of them.  It was only when she had gotten a little suspicious that he had started to do it properly.  Little wonder, then, that when she had offered to teach him something else, as she was also loathe to end their sessions, he had jumped at the chance. 

"Hmm, it seems to be missing something?" he said as he dipped his chopstick into the dish again, this time taking a little bit of the fish and the sauce and lifting it up for Feng Jiu to taste.  She obediently opened her mouth to let him feed her.  She chewed slowly as she contemplated the taste.  Donghua waited patiently for her to give her opinion knowing that she likes to take her time when it comes to tasting food, her face often a picture of intense concentration.  He could see the small knot forming on her forehead and he knew she would soon be adding something to the sauce.  True enough, she took a different jar of spice and added it to the fish.  He smiled inwardly congratulating himself on how well he knew her now.  They've been spending a few hours together everyday for the past few weeks and he has spent the majority of it silently studying her, fascinated by her and her facial expressions.

She took the chopstick from the plate, took some fish and tasted it again.  Donghua could see the slight lifting of her lips at the corner and he knew that she was satisfied with how it tasted now.  "This should be better.  Taste it again."  Feng Jiu said lifting up the chopsticks with a second serving of the fish on it to feed to him.  She looked at him expectantly and smiled as soon as she saw him pursed his lips.  He wasn't the only one who's been paying attention.  

"It is so much better now."  he said just as she expected.  She's been observing him also and knew his taste pretty well now.  "It's exactly how I like it."  He didn't know it but she has been subtly adjusting all her recipes to conform to his taste buds as she wanted him to eat more.  She had made it her mission to help him keep up his strength and cultivation by feeding him food that was good for his health.  

"Here have some more!" she said as she gave him more fish which he dutifully ate finding that as long as she was the one serving him, he would eat anything.

***

"Chonglin greets 3rd Prince Liansong."  Chonglin said as soon as he saw the 3rd Prince enter the villa of Dijun.  

"Hello Chonglin.  Long time no see.  Where's Dijun?  I heard he hasn't been attending Court.  Is he well?"  Liansong asked as he was worried about the old God.  He knew based on the report by the Sentries that Dijun had gotten hurt in the fight with the Qingtian Beast.  However, he hadn't been able to check on him since he had to go to the Sea Kingdom to check on the wards himself even before Dijun had gotten back to the Palace.  Donghua has been back for a few months now though so he should have recovered by now but he still wanted to make sure.

"Yes, ah he seems all right."  Chonglin said. 

"So where is he?"  Liansong looked around knowing that Chonglin was like a shadow to Dijun.  Dijun was somewhere near because Chonglin was here. 

"He's in the Forbidden Area."  As Liansong started walking to the back of the villa that had access to where Dijun was, Chonglin tried to stop him looking a little agitated. "3rd Prince, I think Dijun is a little busy. Maybe you can come back another time."