Chapter 9

Meera's POV:

Sitting in front of the mirror all dressed like a bride. I'm a lifeless doll. My body is numb, my feelings are dead, my life is over. I have nothing left to do.

I'm just surrendering myself to some man who will make me his wife and do whatever he wants.

"Meera you look so beautiful!"
Said one of aunty.

I just gave her a small smile, as I know she is faking her concern.

"Our Meera always looks beautiful!".
Said another lady faking again.

God please tell these people to go out for sometime so that I can have two peaceful moments to myself. I mentally prayed.

After some time they all went out and left me alone finally!

I got up and went and stood near the window looking out at the decorated house and people's happy faces. I drank up my fear, anxiety, worry and stress. I have no idea what's going to happen in a few minutes. But that much is confirmed that my life is over.

I heard the door open, I turned to see it's Rampuran my uncle. I looked at him wiredly. He doesn't speak much to anyone and me very less. What's he doing here? I thought in confusion.

I stepped forward as he came inside. We stood face to face in silence till he spoke.

"I know you are not happy with what's happening. But you left me no choice!" He said sternly looking into my eyes.

"What did I ever do to deserve the life you chose for me?"
I asked with pain in my voice.

He looked down and didn't meet my eyes. I stood with watery eyes.

"The only person who agreed to marry you was Mani, he was the only man who willingly came to marry a girl who was raped by three men!" He said in anger gritting his teeth.

I closed my eyes and let my tears fall out.

"Your parents before dying own him some money which they could nerve repay. I tried and gave my best to him, but now he wants the full amount which I can't afford. He said if I don't pay him, he will kill all my family members. And you know Mani is very capable of doing so". He said sounding a little scared.

I stood still waiting for him to finish. He took a deep breath and said.

"When he heard about you, he said he will marry you and forgive the loan of money. In exchange you will give him a heir for fortune. God has given you a chance to live a stable married life in the society so just shut your mouth. It will help us and yourself".
He said and went out slamming the door.

I stood still not knowing what to say more than this. He never thought about my happiness or feelings. He will do whatever he wants to and I need to keep quit and listen. I have no other way out.

I wiped my tears and turned back towards the window. The cool breeze hit my face and I closed my eyes feeling the calmness just for sometime.

My door was knocked again.
I turned and said.

"Come in!"

Two ladies with fully covered clothes keeping the duppata over their heads came inside. One of them closed the doors.

"Who are you both? What do you'll want?" I asked them worriedly.

Both of them stood quietly for a moment and then they took off the shwalls and showed their faces. The floor under my feet swept away. My eyes widened, my mind stopped working.

I don't know how but everything blacked out..........

"Meera! Meera! Meera! Wake up, please!!!" I heard a voice.