alternative ending

Start from the beginning

Phastos nodded understandingly, making room for Thena as she kneeled down.
But something in his eyes- changed as he looked at her for too long, like he was trying to figure out what was missing, wanting to say something else.

The puzzlement vanished within that moment, Persia hesitantly turning over to Thena who put a light hand to her cheek, the cold of her palm matching hers.
"You did it."

Persia lifted a shaking hand and brushed it over Thena's, fingers grabbing it, "Not without you."

The goddess lifted her chin; that sign of acknowledgment without a word needed.

Persia nibbled at the inside of her lip, tasting hints of blood and dust before seeing other shadows approach.

The eternals gathered in a half-circle at the foot of the hill, though as her hand instinctively went to claw at her chest, twitching as she tried to find something, she felt realization settle.

Energy, just a spec of it.
A spec of him.

Empty took up the hollow, aching void inside her mind and heart, leaving her searching in the dark.
Nothing at all.

The others must have noticed, because Sersi whispered a soft 'hey', which was swallowed in the increasing numbness of her ears.
She repeated it again, this time Persia shaking her head and gave her a look.

"What-"
A hot tear streamed down her face, eyes juggling back and forth in that desperate confusion, another wet trail pathing down her face.

Ikaris, gone, by her hand.
Gilgamesh, leaving his life to protect.
Ajak, her warm heart lost to betrayal.

Druig, ripped from this world because she didn't back down, thought all would be fine.

In the corner of her eye, she watched as Makkari was heading towards her but then the girl froze, turned with her brows twisting.

Persia pushed herself up to follow her sight, the rattle in her skull as she held back the sobs just making the pain worse.

A figure appeared at the horizon, the beams of the sun leaving a warm trail behind him up the soiled beach.
His clothes feathered with the wind, that little distress following his steps as he came closer.

The brown hair flowing messy, walking like he didn't have a care in the world.
That's what she told herself, because as his energy came back to her, it caressed her skin and made her feel whole.
No matter how weak it made her to hold the faint connection, she didn't pay attention to the exhaustion.

She couldn't believe it.

Alive, was all she could think as she took unsteady but sure strikes over the sand, fearing for the distance between them to never shorten.

But it did.
And it did even more once his dark eyes spotted her.

They widened, slowing as the thoughts rattled in his mind until he struck towards her faster, face pulling into an unbelieving smile.

Warmth closer around her skin as her feet fell victim to her injuries, being gently guided down as he held her.

Tears fell down her face, silently dozing his clothes with them. He placed his palm to the back of her head and eased her further towards him, like he could read her pain.

Persia pulled back, panting gasps as her mouth didn't allow her to form a sentence- not even a proper word.
All she could press forward was a scratching,  "Druig", tasting sweet on her tongue.

"Persia." he breathed in response, his voice setting a weight into her chest. His hands cupped her cheeks as he flicked his gaze over and over again about her face. "You came back to us. I knew you'd- I knew you were strong enough."