Chapter 4

Chapter Inspiration: Vox Populi by 30 Seconds to Mars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hospital was swarmed with busy Medical Ninjas, rushing from room to room. Sakura took one look at Gaara upon his return, about to rip his head off for being out of bed, until she saw Azmaria in his company.

"What are you doing here?" Sakura exclaimed, hugging the young woman tightly.

"Helping. I just arrived with the Raikage and ninja from the Land of Lightning."

"I thought I noticed some ninja who looked different moving about outside."

"Sakura! We need you over here!" a woman shouted down the hall.

"I need to go, but I also have to–"

Azmaria held up a hand. "I've got him, you tend to the others."

"Thanks," Sakura breathed before rushing off.

Once inside the hospital room Azmaria dug through the bandages in a drawer, before helping Gaara pull off his top. She began to unwrap the old bandages.

"Just like old times, huh, Master Gaara?" Azmaria teased. "Nothing seems to have changed.

"You don't have to keep addressing me by that title, Azmaria..."

"I know... but it seems right to keep addressing you in that manner. That's how I addressed you for thirteen years." She washed down the skin using a damp cloth, and examined the wound. "This looks painful..." she whispered.

"It's not as bad as it looks."

Azmaria pressed a palm against his chest over the section that still had the most damage. A warm sensation began to emit from the palm seconds later. Her chakra flowed into the wound, mending it even further. Her eyes were closed in concentration, Gaara unable to look away from her face. This had to be some sick, twisted dream. He was still in the hospital, still in bed, wounded, hurt, broken. There was no way Azmaria was truly here.

"What's wrong?"

Gaara blinked, not realizing he had been caught staring. "I'm dreaming... aren't I?" he questioned.

Azmaria laughed lightly, the sound amazing to his ears. "I promise you, Mas– Gaara. You're not dreaming."

After wrapping the wound once more, they made their way up to the roof of the hospital, overlooking Suna. Something dashed out of the shadows and ran up Azmaria's arm to perched itself on a shoulder.

"Aslan..." Gaara breathed. Now recognizing the animal from before.

"Did he already greet you?"

"Before I was taken to meet you. I didn't recognize him."

Grinning, a hand reached up, scratching the animal behind the ear. "He's gotten so big. I still can't thank you enough for gifting him to me. How have you been, besides the war?"

"Alright," he answered. "Nothing exciting has happened since you left until now."

"I highly doubt that with Tamahome, Sanchi, and Kankuro in the same Village."

A smile twitched at his lips.

"Azmaria... how did this all happen? How did you convince the Land of Lightning to become involved in a war that wasn't theirs to meddle in?"