39 | I'M GOING TO CHARLESTON

Start from the beginning

"Pope got a letter and now he gone silent and won't tell us what it said but it had the wheat symbol on it - like the one on the gold." Kiara cut her off. Athena furrowed her eyebrows.

"Okay... and why do you have Pope's phone?" Athena questioned.

"Oh he threw it at me and went phone Athena, that was the last thing he said before he went radio silent. You have to be quiet for a minute, we're going into the library." Kie explained, Athena nodding her head despite the girl not being able to see her.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asked in disbelief.

"I don't know." Kie replied to him as the two obviously followed Pope.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protector? What's going on?" JJ asked Pope.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane." Kie said at the boys lack of explanation.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this." Pope finally spoke, the group stopping. Athena assumed he gave the letter to one of the two, "Read it."

"Out loud." Kie encouraged.

"I can't read cursive." JJ said in embarrassment.

"It's alright JJ, it's hard to read." Athena reassured him over the phone.

"Thanks Attie." JJ mumbled.

"Dear Mr.Hayward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of viral importance that you come and meet with me in person at my office at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey." Kie read the letter.

"Charleston?" JJ questioned.

"It's like a eight hour drive." Athena stated perplexed.

"Plus the ferry." Pope added. "How are we gonna get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave right now." JJ said back.

"I have a free period." Kie spoke up.

"So do I." Athena agreed.

"Material evidence. What does that even mean?" JJ read from the paper in a low voice.

"Guys. It means he can clear John B." Kie answered quickly.

"Oh, shit. Then we're going to Charleston." JJ spoke loudly, getting shhed quickly.

"I gotta tell my mom." Kie huffed, "Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe."

"No duh." JJ said back.

"Uh guys?" Athena started.

"Athena?" Kie asked.

"My dad and Rafe are in the Bahamas." Athena told them, her hearing Kie gasp quietly.

"Shit." JJ cursed, when the three heard Pope sigh.

"What is it Pope?" Athena asked.

"I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant." Pope said, Athena thinking he was showing them something, an article or Wikipedia.

"Thena we'll pick you up." Kie told her.

"Awesome see you then." Athena hung up, clearing away her stuff before pulling up another contact and letting it ring. "Wheezie?"