2 - The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

Start from the beginning

"You're telling me," I muttered, resisting the urge to go into a tirade of why I hate my father. "Try living with him."

"He's quite the opposite to your Mother. She always seems so lovely and warm." Pansy continued. "Remember when she fixed my leg that time I fell out of your treehouse and she insisted on making me feel better with a hot chocolate and a big slab gingerbread?"

In other words, I though wryly, my father is a cold hearted prick.

"Anyway," Pansy went on. "Is that gel you're using in your hair?"

"Cream," I corrected her.

In an attempt to look older than my eleven years, I decided to slick my white-blond hair back into a tight bun. I possibly went a little overboard with the cream as I ended up using three quarters of a pot in one application.

Luckily, I had an entire suitcase full of hair cream to see me through the year.

I drew myself up tall as we arrived outside the compartment which Pansy had promised had been saved for us.

"Hey, everyone," she said cheerily, thrusting me inside. "This is Dray."

I looked around. Five pairs of eyes blinked up at me.

"Dray?" The boy next to the window spoke. He was a skinny looking boy, with features that reminded me of a rather exhausted rabbit.

"It's short for Draya," I said, raising an eyebrow. "Draya Malfoy. And you are?"

He smirked, sitting up a little straighter. "Theo. Short for Theodore Nott."

Smart arse.

"Good to meet you, Dray," the boy opposite him spoke smoothly. Dark skin and slanted black eyes, even at the age of eleven I could see he was handsome. "The name's Blaise."

Smiling warmly, he lifted a hand and I immediately stepped forward to shake it, rather liking the formality of this introduction. I couldn't help but notice his skin was soft and cool to touch, and I found my hand feeling quite empty when his fingers slipped out from mine.

I politely introduced myself to the rest - Daphne, a pretty blonde girl who giggled nervously as our eyes met, and next were Crabbe and Goyle: two generously built boys who seemed to had forgotten their first names or even how to speak.

It was a group I quite liked. Especially Blaise, who made Goyle scoot along the seat so that I could sit next to him.

"So, a Malfoy, huh?" he said, his voice kind as his eyes twinkled in mine. "That's got to be something, growing up in that big old Manor."

I gave an indifferent shrug. "It's alright, I suppose. The servants can be a pain, though. I walked in one cleaning my bathroom at the exact same time I needed a soak. And just yesterday, Father was talking about sacking one of the house-elves because he started demanding tea breaks."

An amused chuckle emitted from Blaise's parted lips, and it occurred to me that he thought I was joking.

A couple of hours and many conversations into the journey, my stomach began to grumble.

"Anyone want to come and find out where the snack trolley is at?" I enquired, looking around the compartment at my new companions.

Only Crabbe and Goyle looked up eagerly at the mention of food. Pansy was deep in conversation with Daphne. Theo was asleep. I glanced hopefully at Blaise.

"Nah, you're alright," Blaise drawled, folding his arms across his chest and leaning his head back against the seat. "Mum's new boyfriend is a chef and has packed me a gourmet lunch. Grilled Hippogriff on a bed of pumpkin leaves, would you believe?"