Somewhere In the Middle

Prompt: Joe and Caspar get into a meaningless fight which leads to relationship angst (x)

Texts

Before Joe and Caspar started dating, there wasn’t really any tension between them. Sure there was a lot of banter that could seem some people could maybe see as fighting, but they never actually got mad at each other. If they ever got irritated with each other, they would just find a way to laugh it off. It’s one of the reasons they had no problem taking the step from “best friends” to “boyfriends.” 

Except, once they changed the label on their relationship, the easy-going nature between them suddenly changed too. They fought more in the first three weeks of their relationship than they had in the three years that they knew each other.

“Where’s my oyster card?” 

Joe rolled his eyes, “Why would I know?”

“I let you borrow it when you went to see your dad because you lost yours!” Caspar’s voice was growing irritated, “Seriously, Joe are you that irresponsible?”

“What are you on about, mate? I gave it back to you last week,” Joe glared up at Caspar, “And if anyone is irresponsible in this flat, I’m pretty sure it would be you.”

“You always do this.”

“Do what, Caspar? Return your things?” Joe breaks his glare with Caspar.

“I have to get on the tube so I can meet up with Troye. ,” Caspar began to whine, “This isn’t funny, Joe!”

“I’m not laughing.”

“How am I meant to trust you? The majority of things you do are pranks. There’s probably some dumb GoPro recording this.”

“What’s gotten into you? You’re acting like an asshole, Caspar. I haven’t had many serious relationships, but I know they’re meant to be based on trust.”

Caspar looks down at him, his voice growing louder, “Then why are we in one at all?”

Joe feels his body flinch, settling his eyes as far away from Caspar as he can (though it’s hard because his eyes always seem to be drawn to Caspar; it doesn’t matter if there’s a hundred people in the room or just him and Caspar, he always finds his mind, eyes and focus drifting toward Caspar) until they land on a small card near Caspar’s speakers, “Your dumb oyster card is in your so called office.”

“Joe, I -,” Caspar starts with some semblance of remorse in his voice (and good, there better be some guilt in his voice for wrongly accusing him), but Joe doesn’t let him finish his thought.

“I’m going to my sister’s. That’s who you’re meant to go to when your boyfriend essentially breaks up with you, isn’t it?” Joe pushes his way past Caspar, “Though I can’t say I’m surprised you’re acting so irrationally. You’ve always been this way even when you were a kid. At least back then you had tourettes as an excuse.” 

“Fuck off, Joe,” Caspar calls out, “You need to get your own life, Joe. Stop leaching off Zoe for everything,” 

Joe’s out the door, trying not to listen to a word Caspar’s saying.

Alfie answers the door to see a red eyed Joe, “Mate, have you been crying?”

Joe looks up at him, giving him a blank stare that seems to communicate that he only wants to see Zoe. Alfie seems to get it, ushering Joe into the living room of their house where Zoe’s sat watching a movie and leaving the two of them alone until whatever is wrong with Joe sorts itself out.