I'm not short. I'm just not that tall.

Prompt: Joe gets teased about his build and Caspar comforts him (x)

Since Joe was little, he always expected that he would hit his growth spurt later in life. All of his friends seemed to blow up, both in terms of muscle and height, at the beginning of secondary school, and maybe he just had to wait his turn. Even when he turned 23 and was older than most of his friends, he still held out on the small hope that maybe he would grow a little taller, maybe he would be a little bigger. 

And it’s not like his height is the only thing he ever thinks about. In fact, he rarely does. Only the occasional comment will remind him that he still hasn’t hit that growth spurt and that he probably never will. 

And that’s exactly what happens today, when Caspar decides that, after two months or so of dating, Joe and him needed to have a date at a properly fancy restaurant and just pray that no one there is a fan of them. It’s romantic in a way that Joe never thought he could have with Caspar or, really, with anyone given the fact that the two of them usually get mobbed by at least one fan whenever they try to do something together. It’s nice.

It stays nice until the waitress comes over to their table mid-way through the meal, just to check in on them and looking directly at Caspar, comments, “It’s so nice that you’re taking your little brother out to a dinner like this! We normally get couples, but it’s good to see families come out here too!”

Joe feels his face heat up while Caspar just laughs, “He’s not my younger brother, but I can see how you think that! He’s a small one, isn’t he?”

“Oh my god!” The waitress looks embarrassed, “I shouldn’t make assumptions like that. If you need anything, just let me know! I’m going to go now.”

Caspar’s still laughing when the waitress leaves, “Can’t say I’ve ever been on a date where the waitress has mistaken them from family. We got to tell someone about this.”

Joe doesn’t have any time to argue, because as soon as Caspar finishes talking, he’s whipping out his phone to text the YouTube Boyband group message.

Caspar to Alfie, Marcus, Jim & Joe: Joe just got mistaken for my little brother on our date!

Alfie to Caspar, Marcus, Jim & Joe: Ahahahahahahaha

Marcus to Alfie, Caspar, Jim & Joe: Tell him to order some protein. Maybe then he won’t be so small! ;)

“You didn’t need to text them all,” Joe grumbles.

“It’s funny, Joe! Besides they’ve all told us awkward date stories, now we’ve got one of our own. Come on now, Marcus wants you to eat some of that protein.”

Joe manages to change the topic from his height and build quickly and the subject is forgotten even with their waitress repeatedly apologizing as they leave.

When they get back to their flat, Caspar’s already pushing Joe up against the door.

“Forward tonight, aren’t we?”

“Shut up, Joseph,” he kisses him, “We went to a fancy restaurant and now I want dessert.”

“That’s possibly the worst line I’ve heard anyone use,” Joe manages to get out before letting out a moan as Caspar travels down his neck.

“Fuck, Joe, you’re so hot.”

“Even though I’m small?”

Caspar freezes, “What?”

Joe looks away from him, embarrassed, “Nothing.”

He pulls away, “It’s not nothing. You’re upset.”

Joe pulls Caspar right back toward him, “Can’t you just finish what you started?”

“Don’t you dare distract me, Joseph,” Caspar drags Joe to the couch, “Now sit, we’re in a relationship and when people are in relationships, they talk things out. Is this about that waitress thinking I was your older brother?”

Joe frowns, slightly ashamed, before nodding. 

“And I’m assuming the fact that I kept laughing about it made it worse,” Caspar sighed at Joe’s silence, “Joe, look at me, you’re not even short. You’re just dating someone who happens to be unusually tall and it makes you look shorter in comparison. You got a lot of muscle on you too, even if people don’t always see it. Hell, you’re stronger than me,” he pauses, “Either way, you’re still fucking hot and beautiful to me and to so many other people. Who cares what one random waitress thought? Now, I’m not leaving you to pout by yourself all night, so you’re coming to sleep with me.”

When Joe wakes up, Caspar, surprisingly, is already up, making something upstairs, most likely breakfast.

Joe smiles; he really lucked out by meeting Caspar.

He looks down at his phone, seeing there’s one notification from Caspar on twitter.

@Caspar_Lee: Every tall person needs a short one :)

@Joe_Sugg favorited this tweet