I finally got ahold of my mother's half-sister who she barely knew. She's ten years older than my mom and has her own family in a city called Redland, about two hours from here. I only met her once at my mom's funeral, but when I looked her up and told her about my situation with my stepfather, she readily agreed to help me. Gabe is coming to drive me halfway there to meet her. I can't wait much longer, or Davis will be back home.

Elise and I stand hugging each other and I hear the doorbell again. I hold onto her and answer it. "Hey, you ready to go?" Gabe asks looking between us. I nod. "Give me two minutes," I say turning back to Elise.

She holds onto me tighter. "Listen, I can't take my phone with me. Gabe is going to hold onto it so Davis can't track me. My aunt will get me a new one though and I'll call you as soon as I can from her phone," I say quickly.

She nods. "You're going to be ok now Mav," she says giving me a small smile. "We both will be. I told you I'll be back this summer. Gabe said I can stay with him, ok?" I say rubbing her cheeks.

Fuck there's so much more I want to tell her.

I love you more than a best friend.

You're my whole world.

It's because of you moving into this shitty town four years ago that I've survived this long.

One day I'm going to marry you and give you everything you ever wanted.

It's all on the tip of my tongue.
But we still have time.

This isn't goodbye for us.
It can't be.

We do almost everything together. She's always at my house when Davis isn't here, or I'm at hers helping her babysit. I talk to her about everything..well everything besides the fact that I wish she was my girlfriend and not just my best friend.

Gabe honks outside obviously getting worried about Davis coming back. "Lis.." I say trailing off.
She moves up and kisses my cheek and I stare at her swallowing hard. "Let's go," she says taking my hand. 

We walk out together, and I don't bother locking the door because I don't give a damn about protecting this house.

We drive her to her house, even though it is just down the road, and we hug one more time before she heads up her driveway. I don't move until she's inside.

I get to my aunt and uncle's home safely, and within a few days, my aunt Stephanie files a restraining order against my stepfather. It's incredibly fortunate that her husband is a lawyer and knows exactly what to do to file for temporary custody of me.

My aunt reminds me a lot of my mom, and she has two sons who are younger than me that I become close to. I speak to Elise every day, just like I promised to. But one night I call, and she doesn't answer. The next day when she doesn't pick up, I ask Gabe what's going on. He says he's not sure, so I beg him to go over and check on her.

I get a call from her 30 minutes later and she sounds very upset. "Lis, what's wrong? Talk to me," I say going in the backyard so I can hear her better.

"Mav, I'm moving."

I feel my shoulders tense and I sit down on a chair on the patio. "W-what do you mean moving? To where?" I ask already dreading the answer. I can hear in her voice that it's nowhere close.

"My uncle is being stationed in Japan, Mav. I won't be here much longer," she says. Her  voice is hoarse, and I can tell she's been crying. "Lis..for how long? Can I come see you before you leave? I'll get my aunt or uncle to drive me to your house," I say feeling frantic, getting up and going back into the house.

This can't be happening. I'm just getting things together in my life. I was even just talking to Gabe about us getting summer jobs at a fast-food place when I come back so I can save up for a car. Then I could see her even more often.

But now..

How the hell could I visit her in Japan?

"His transfer isn't temporary. I'll be there until I graduate, please come Mav. I asked my aunt to take me to you, but she won't drive me. She needs me here to watch my cousins while she packs up," she says.

"Lis, it's ok sweetheart. Listen I'll be there. I'm going to ask right now, tomorrows Sunday it should be fine," I say making my way over to my aunts home office. I speak to her, and she agrees to take me the next day.

When I get to Elise's house, it's total chaos. The little kids have her running around all over the place while her aunt and her friend pack boxes. We spend all day alternating between childcare and helping pack. There's zero time for me to be alone with her, but I'll take it over nothing.

When my aunt comes to get me, I finally take Elise outside with me and give her a hug that doesn't last nearly long enough. "I'm going to miss you so much. Promise me you won't forget about me," she says looking up at me.

I shake my head. "I couldn't. Never Lis. This doesn't mean anything, we will still talk. I'll see you again somehow, and when I do, I'm going to hug you just like this," I say, swallowing hard. She laughs lightly. "Ok," she whispers.

I turn as her aunt calls for her and I know I have to leave. I kiss her forehead and head to my aunt's car. She stands and waves to me as I drive away.

I had no idea then, just how long it would be before I gave her that hug.